Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Launch Startup Repair Infinite Loop

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

Some questions:
- Do you have another computer running Windows 7 and do you know if the Windows on the "bad computer" is 32 or 64 bits?
- To evaluate the options you have I need to know if you want to recover files from the machine or not?

Advertisements

herefernow

herefernow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have another computer (the one I'm working on now) and it is running Windows 7. Both computers are 32 bit.

I'd rather recover files if at all possible, but if not, I need a working computer more than I need 25 years worth of music. :)

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

I have another computer (the one I'm working on now) and it is running Windows 7. Both computers are 32 bit.

I'd rather recover files if at all possible, but if not, I need a working computer more than I need 25 years worth of music. :)

You could create a Windows 7 System Repair Disk but to save some time and in case it doesn't work you can download Windows 7 SP1 legally if your machine have the Windows 7 COA Sticker.

Posted Image
Note: In some laptops to locate the sticker you have to remove the battery.

Download the Windows 7 full ISO using the links on this topic.

Select the Windows 7 edition according with the information you have on the COA stick. Burn the ISO to a DVD as a disk image using a low speed, if you need help on this let me know.

Boot the computer using the install disk, you may need to enter the BIOS to change the boot order, on the install screen bellow click Repair your computer
Posted Image

it should be possible to cancel the search for Windows installations and access the System Recovery Options and from there to the Command Prompt
Posted Image

herefernow

herefernow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Well, I downloaded this (http://msft.digitalr...n/X17-58996.iso) ISO file and burned it to a DVD. I then loaded the DVD and when I restarted my computer it said to hit any key to boot from CD/DVD. I did and it said Windows with a small bar at the bottom and then...nothing.

Same cursor on a black screen that I always get whenever I try any repair.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Well, I downloaded this (http://msft.digitalr...n/X17-58996.iso) ISO file and burned it to a DVD. I then loaded the DVD and when I restarted my computer it said to hit any key to boot from CD/DVD. I did and it said Windows with a small bar at the bottom and then...nothing.

Same cursor on a black screen that I always get whenever I try any repair.

The computer probably have some hardware problem...

Check the memory by following this guide section 2. Start from Windows Boot Manager

And to test the disk download Parted Magic it's a Linux live CD you have to burn and boot from, inside you will find a tool to diagnose the Hard Disk called Disk Health.

Edit: On the Parted Magic Desktop there is also a Partition Editor start it and take a screenshot of the disk partitions please (on the "Start" / Accessories there is a Screenshot tool).
Posted Image

Edited by SleepyDude, 31 December 2013 - 03:27 PM.

herefernow

herefernow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I tried these things to no avail. I borrowed a friends Ubuntu CD and ran full HD and memory scans which found nothing, so my new plan is to attempt to install the newest version of Ubuntu and, if that fails, buy a new laptop.

Many thanks for the attempts at helping!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

I tried these things to no avail. I borrowed a friends Ubuntu CD and ran full HD and memory scans which found nothing, so my new plan is to attempt to install the newest version of Ubuntu and, if that fails, buy a new laptop.

Many thanks for the attempts at helping!

Hi,

Did you try to access the Windows partitions on the disk using Linux?

Because you test and isn't a hardware problem it could be corruption of the Windows partitions.

If the windows partitions are ok you could try a Windows Repair install using the Windows 7 DVD you downloaded.