Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cleaning out the rest of the infection. [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Let's see if we can run this one on Windows 8.1.

It will give us a deeper look at things.

Download aswMBR.exe to your desktop.

Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it.

Posted ImageClick the "Scan" button to start scan

Posted Image

On completion of the scan click save log, save it to your desktop and post in your next reply

Advertisements

Violet_Shift

Violet_Shift

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Sadly that program crashes about halfway through the scan - although the first time I ran it (and not any subsequent times after a reboot) a line came up in red before it crashed.

I'm beginning to think that this install is damaged beyond saving, sadly. I managed to find where I can get a dreamspark copy of windows 8.1 so I'll just call it quits and format (I lost my previous disc, and my university's link was broken - managed to find a current one fortunately).

Thanks for everyone's help though. I've just got to the point where I feel that the inconvenience of a reinstall is less than the inconvenience of trying to fix this. I've got everything important on my RAID anyway so it shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks for everyone's help. :)

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Thank you for telling us.

Good luck. :)

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.