Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant start windows defender or malwarebytes anti malware [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Sorry it could not be better news.. But as I thought the hard drive is dying. You can just replace the hard drive which is a cheaper option

Advertisements

shanecam

shanecam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thank you for your help. I decided to replace my cpu. Any recommendations for a free anti virus for windows 8?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I use Avast on windows 8.1, you could give that a try :)

Avast Free

shanecam

shanecam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Any tips on getting rid of the pre loaded norton?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yes, first uninstall it from control panel and then run the removal tool available here to clean the rest https://support.nort...erProfile_en_us

If you are not used to the new layout of windows 8 and are more comfortable with the old style windows then this free tool will reset it :)

http://www.classicshell.net/

shanecam

shanecam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thanks so much for your help. Norton appears to have been removed and Avast is installed. Now I just have to get used to 8.1. I realize that this is a Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal section but I see that you are also running 8.1. Is there anything else that I should be looking at as far as optimizing this operating system?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
This is my 8.1 desktop... Notice that I have completely bypassed the metro mode and have it as a windows 7 type display

This is using Start8, however, the free classic shell is just as good

For security I recommend the following :

If you regularly use USB sticks for transferring data from one computer to another then get MCShield
Posted Image

This will protect you from any USB malware, it is set and forget. Once installed it does its job quietly and unobtrusively

For Avast set the hardened mode to aggressive then this will warn about any unusual/unknown programmes that try to run
You will be given the option to run the programme and set it as a normal one or block it from running totally

For protection against all current cryptolock type malware then use Cryptoprevent, again a fire and forget programme
CryptoPrevent install this programme to lock down and prevent crypto ransome ware

Posted Image

Finally use MBAM for a monthly quick scan of the system, the free version is sufficient.

Optimisation :

Very little needs to be done with Windows 8.1 use the built in defragmenter and it will also optimise file placement for you, using a third party defragmenter may not give as good a result

Any further questions then just ask :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.