Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive failure?

• Please log in to reply

ThatOneLazyGuy

ThatOneLazyGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I dont have any extra drives or CDs to back up onto. My laptop refuses to connect to my desktops homegroup to which I would like to back it up to. I need to fix this before using Macrium Reflect because I have no where else to back it up to. Sorry if I am missing something simple, I am really bad with computers :( . Can you please help me set up a homegroup or shared folder to back up to?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

I dont have any extra drives or CDs to back up onto

You do not need an extra drive as you would be using the notebook DVD writer, sorry but you really should already have a back up of Windows 7 on a DVD type disk and all other data backed up to the appropriate type of disk, this is not intended to sound like a lecture but consider the following points, how much do you value the data on the HDD, is any of the data on the HDD irreplaceable and finally how easy or difficult would it be to get the notebook back up and running if the HDD does fail and you have nothing backed up.

It is far easier and safer to back up important data as you go, DVD-R disks are relatively inexpensive now so when your budget will allow it invest in enough to secure your important data, Best Buy example

RE: HomeGroup, What OS is on your desktop, it must be W7 Home Premium as a minimum.

The Microsoft guide to setting up a HomeGroup is all the help that you will need, details here

ThatOneLazyGuy

ThatOneLazyGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I turned on my laptop to try setting up the homegroup, and was greeted by this. I restarted the computer and everything was normal, but I thought you might like to see what this is.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
That could be a sign of initial problems with the data being read from the HDD.

I did ask;

RE: HomeGroup, What OS is on your desktop, it must be W7 Home Premium as a minimum.

However as you are on with it already we will wait on your next update.

ThatOneLazyGuy

ThatOneLazyGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Both computers have windows 7 home premium. I have successfully created a homegroup on my desktop, but when I tried to connect my laptop to it, it did not work. After I entered the password to join, it began loading, and when it completed it told me "could not create homegroup." This seems odd, because I was trying to JOIN the home group from the laptop, not create another. I know for sure the password is correct, and both computers have the same date and time. Am I missing something?
I would also like to appologize again for my slow responses.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Sorry but I have got to state the obvious first, did you follow the same steps as detailed here

Please don`t worry about when you are able to reply, we all have other things going on and so understand that you cannot be here 24/7 :thumbsup:

ThatOneLazyGuy

ThatOneLazyGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have just finished trying all of the steps, and the laptop just refuses to join the homegroup. It gives me a message "Windows cannot set up a homegroup on this computer." It doesn't give me any error code at all after that so I have no idea what else to try.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Not sure what to suggest for you to try :unsure:

Backing up to disk/s or a second HDD is looking to be your best option I`m afraid :(

ThatOneLazyGuy

ThatOneLazyGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Sorry for the late response, I just finally bought some discs to back up the computer on and am backing the computer up as I type this. What will be the next step to take after I finish the backup?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
No worries we understand that you cannot be here 24/7 as none of us can :thumbsup:

Do you have a Windows 7 (Sp1) OS disk as it may be necessary to do a repair install of the present OS.

The log that you have post shows various errors that need attention, first of all I suggest that you back up all important data on the HDD and then create a new restore point.

Next: Reboot the computer, and tap the F8 key until you get the advanced boot menu up - one option should be 'Repair your computer'. Pick that one.

You'll get a set of options - pick the Command Prompt one.

At the command prompt, type DIR C:\ this should bring up a listing of your normal C: drive contents, including the Program Files folder(s) and the Windows folder.

If not, try D:\ or E:\ (etc. until you get the right letter) type the following command CHKDSK <drive>: /R wait for it to complete - it could take a few hours, depending on the size of the drive.

Once complete, type sfc /scannow /OFFBOOTDIR=<drive>:\ /OFFWINDIR=<drive>:\Windows where <drive> is the letter you found above (example - sfc /scannow /OFFBOOTDIR=C:\ /OFFWINDIR=C:\Windows)

Wait for the command to complete. (make a note of the response!).
Once it has, type EXIT and then pick the option to reboot.

If the Offline SFC completed please try another SFC from normal Windows, you will then hopefully be able to post a new CBS.log file for us.

Advertisements

ThatOneLazyGuy

ThatOneLazyGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I don't have a windows 7 OS disc. Should I still continue with the steps?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Yes please, if a Windows 7 disk is required I will provide the details for you as to how to obtain an ISO, please confirm that you have your 25 digit Windows 7 product key in case it is required.

ThatOneLazyGuy

ThatOneLazyGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I don't have the product key either. Unless it is stored on the computer somewhere? If not, then I'm afraid I don't have it. :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
If the product key sticker is not on the base of the notebook it may be in the battery compartment, you will obviously need to shut down the notebook, remove the battery and mains power cord to check this.

If there is no product key sticker to be found anywhere download and run The Magical Jelly Bean from here and that will provide your product key for you, make a note of it on a piece of paper and store it somewhere safe, do not disclose the number to anyone.

Going offline now as it is gone 1am here in the UK and I am up for work at 6am :(

ThatOneLazyGuy

ThatOneLazyGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok, I found the product key and will continue with the steps you told me to follow.