Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8 corrupted file help?

• Please log in to reply

AndrewThegeek

AndrewThegeek

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
So can anyone assist me with this corrupted file? I tried to get Microsoft to help and they wanted 99 dollars which is bank robbery in my book . So basically The only way I was able to fix the problem was by refreshing my computer the corrupted file was WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/LOGFILES/srt/srt.TXT
Also known as the endless automatic repair loop fortunately for me I was able to get into safe mode. So now that my computer is working I want to know how to deal with the file without paying 99 dollars
It's still in my computer

Also noted Ive noticed many other people have been having problems with this individual file for some reason.
I investigated the coding and the files contained nothing at all at least from what ive seen. I can't figure out why my computer is working when I did factory reset and it did nothing.
It seems to be that srt.txt is misplaced somewhere because whenever I delete the file so the computer regenerates a new method the file is always empty so.

Edited by AndrewThegeek, 17 January 2014 - 05:11 PM.

Advertisements

nolacs22

nolacs22

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
You first need to run sfc/scannow if it comes back with corrupt/missing files you then need to run DISM.exe both parts.the first part is DISM.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth press enter.This takes a while so be patient.After it finishes and says it has found some you then run the second part: DISM.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth enter. Note that there are spaces before each forward slash in each step.This fixed everything for me.Let me know! :thumbsup: