Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my XP3Pro on the brink of complete breakdown?

• Please log in to reply

flat-erica

flat-erica

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hi folks,

I have a 19" Hanspree lcd monitor on my XP pro3.
It's several years old now, but has been an excellent monitor with no issues until now.
Lines like speed trails have started appearing. I first noticed them on my desktop icons (see image).
But realise that these lines appear constantly.

Also recently, when I switch the pc on, on start up the screen flickers quite badly until it reaches login, then all is fine.
I've checked the cables are plugged in correctly and they seem to be ok.
Can these two issues be related and, the big question - are they 'fixable'?

Many thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• monitor_image_prob_a.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
Hello flat-Erica

If you can - try the screen with another computer (a notebook that has a VGA port will do) this to determine if the problem is with the Hanspree screen or with the computer/hardware itself.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hi folks! I hope you can assist me.

My XP3Pro (and monitor) are behaving rather strangely with too many issues to mention in the title. I don’t know if it’s a malware or hardware problem so please forgive me if I am in the wrong place!
I started a thread about it in October 2013. I was unable to keep the thread going for various reasons, but I can now continue. Below is a copy of the post which I think is still relevant although the 'trails' are rather hard to see! (Oh, what I would give to have only that problem now!:)

I have a 19" Hanspree lcd monitor on my XP pro3.
It's several years old now, but has been an excellent monitor with no issues until now.
Lines like speed trails have started appearing. I first noticed them on my desktop icons (see image).
But realise that these lines appear constantly.
Also recently, when I switch the pc on, on start up the screen flickers quite badly until it reaches login, then all is fine.
I've checked the cables are plugged in correctly and they seem to be ok.
Can these two issues be related and, the big question - are they 'fixable'?
Many thanks!
(see attached image)

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

But soon after posting the above, another problem arose so I started taking notes. The following info is from my notes (hence the dates and the length!)

14/11/2013
On startup / login, my password was not recognised, even tho it was my usual user/login details. There was no ‘password expiry’ warning . Note that myusername had full admin. rights.

I thought it was a simple case of changing the password. So as always, I found some help online:-

• Started in Safe Mode. Login = Admin. Tried to open ‘help’ – nothing happened. Then ‘users’ in Control Panel - nothing happened. Double-clicked them a few times to open. The hour glass appeared then disappeared. Nothing opened. Walked away in frustration. :o(

• Then, about 8 to 10 minutes later the Help window opens! I typed ‘change password’ in Search box, which took approx 1 minute to open. Eventually changed password successfully.

Restarted pc as normal. New password worked but this message appeared:-
C:\Docs...Settings\myusername\Desktop is not accessible. Access is denied. And only My Computer and Recycle bin icons were shown on a basic, plain desktop. All my shortcuts were gone!!

And to confuse me even more this also popped up:-
WinPatrol Alerts. New or Changed Program – Startup Program CryptoAP132.dll Accept Change? Reject Change? (select one)
Think I accepted a few but there were many and I didn’t know if I was doing good or bad! Eventually I closed the window without selecting any more, which I think was a big mistake?! Didn't use my XP much for a wee while.

19/11/2013
I plugged the internet cable into the back of the XP (I work between the XP and Win7 with only one internet cable) and updated Avira AV then clicked ‘scan’. ACCESS DENIED message again!
Clicked ‘ok’ but the alert kept popping back (3 or 4 times) and each time I clicked ‘ok’. Avira then opened. I selected ‘scan’ but nothing happened. I thought it had froze.

Next this window appeared: WinPatrol Alert – McAfee App..Instal..clean-up.
I clicked ‘Accept’ coz I’ve used this before (should have done this at a more convenient time tho).
A few minutes passed before Avira even started a full system scan. Result - no problems were found (a few warnings about hidden files but that’s nothing new).

Had to launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from C:\ Prog.Files coz my personal settings ie. desktop shortcuts and start menu were all but gone. MBAM’s quick scan found this in local settings, temp: PUP.Optional.Conduit.A - quarrantined and deleted safely. Restarted pc to complete removal.

Tried installing Windows Updates. Seems to be working but the ACCESS DENIED alert keeps popping up! I just ok it and it goes away. All but 2 updates installed successfully. Tried these 2 again but no joy. (see attached images)

IMPORTANT NOTE. As administrator, I did ‘Take control / possession’ of myusername (or something like that) in an attempt to get my familiar folders, software and settings back. But I just can’t recall when I did this!

26/11/2013
Started XP. Screen still flickering at startup. Logged in as Admin. This time 13 shortcuts on plain desktop, recycle bin in bottom right corner.
Double-clicked Computer. It took about 5 or 6 minutes to open. Small success as this time myusername documents opened! A far cry from my previous, personal set-up, but a step in the right direction I thought.

The following weeks were spent saving my stuff and trying to continue work for my website coz all my most-used, fave programs are in XP :o( (So is my printer). I also explored a bit to see what else may be wrong. Found the following:-

• It is painfully slow at opening the very first item, be-it Windows help or PicPick. Afterwards, things open ok.

• On the Keyboard the numbers lock stays lit. For numbers, I have to use the number pad on the right coz the normal numbers and arrows on the keyboard don’t work!

• Changed settings are not saved. For example when opening or saving a picture, Admins. documents are default, which I don’t use. All my stuff is in ‘myusername’s documents’ so I have to keep going through the folders list to get to where I want to open/save, over and over again (hope that makes sense!).

• Even software settings/preferences don’t save. For example, previously, I used Zoner Photo Studio with my custom workspace saved and Zoner would always open with my chosen / saved workspace. Now, no matter how many times I reset it with my own preferences, Zoner opens with default settings and workspace.

• I had my Brother printer set as default printer before. Now it’s Windows default XPS. I have to change it back to Brother each time.

• Changed my desktop background to a pretty picture - no change. And no screensaver.

• When I selected ‘Show hidden folders’ nothing happened. When I went back it had reset back to ‘Do not show hidden folders’.

4/02/2014
Started XP again. Logged in as Admin. Still has same problems but managed to access my folders, use some software and install Windows Updates. But again, 2 updates did not install. (see attached images)

5/02/2014
Started XP again. Logged in as Admin (same as yesterday).
Tried to open a program to do some photo edits but it would not open. Tried another, would not open. All showed this error message:
“Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them” (see attached images)

Clicked Windows ‘Help’ for, well, help (ha ha, that's a laugh), same message!! Everything I tried to open showed the same message – except my folders and files.

Used my camera fone to show examples coz I cannot even get a screen capture from XP!
@ phillpower2: Really sorry, but I can’t show you the up-to-date details you require because of the issue mentioned. However, I did find a text file which hopefully offers enough info about my XP. If not, let me know.(see attached images)

Well, that’s all for now. I have done my best to collect as much info as poss - hopefully it is enough to get started. I promise I will do what I can to work with you in solving these problems.
A big thanks in advance, especially to you, phillpower2, :kiss: .

PS: I have a very short video (taken with my fone) which briefly shows the screen-flickering problem if needed. Haven't worked with videos before tho!

Attached Thumbnails

• 4_monitor_trails.jpg
  • 3_updates_no_install.jpg
  • 2_no_access.jpg
  • 1_xp_details.jpg

Edited by flat-erica, 06 February 2014 - 09:03 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
Hello flat-Erica

Couple of questions if I may;
Have you backed up all important data from the HDD.
Do you have an XP Pro or a system restore disk.
When did you run DxDiag to obtain the information in your last screenshot.

We will take a look at the HDD first of all;
Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take an expanded screenshot and attach it to your next reply please.

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hiya phillpower2. Sorry for delay. Had my 2 year grand-daughter staying overnight!!

In answer to your questions:

- I have backed up my data.
- Yes, I have my xp pro disk.
- Dx.Diag info = 20.11.2012. I know it's over a year old, but it was all I could find at the time. I just used it for the xp's details/spec. However, just took a photo of xp's My Computer > Properties version.(see photos)
- Re- hard drive details. Got what you need but did have some hassle in doing so (see photos).

Hope you don't mind but the camera method is less stressful!

Bye for now.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4141_crop.jpg
  • IMG_4144_crop.jpg

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Just found out that a faulty keyboard is causing the unusable numbers & arrows problem. At least we know it's not an XP issue!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
Go to Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y

If the window doesn't shutdown on its own reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for an hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS

This can take several hours to complete.

When completed it will hopefully boot the system back into Windows.

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page) thank you for understanding.

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Following your instructions and CHKDSK is running right now. Did have a few windows pop up beforehand tho.

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
(note: tried to edit last post but was unable to).

Right. That's the ChkDsk complete. Resulting message was too quick to read, but I did manage to read 'Volume is clean'.

XP logged in automatically with myuser account, but a window popped up: "Windows cannot log you in etc.." (photo 1)
Immediately followed by the usual 'Access denied' message... (photo 2)

I await your further instruction! x

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4153_crop.jpg
  • IMG_4140_crop.jpg

Edited by flat-erica, 10 February 2014 - 03:56 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
I suggest that you do a repair installation of the OS, please refer to the How-to repair Windows XP tutorial provided courtesy of admin.

See how the above goes and post back please.

FWIW flat-Erica, issues such as this can often be avoided by not having the OS and other data on the same partition/drive, if a repair installation does not resolve the issue it may be more beneficial to do a fresh install of XP and put it on a separate partition on the HDD, this because you have backed up all of your data already and so it would be less troublesome to do.

Advertisements

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
@ phillpower2:
Thank you for your help - I really appreciate your support. I will try the repair installation and post the result.

You said ".. issues such as this can often be avoided by not having the OS and other data on the same partition/drive.."
Sorry if I sound stupid but I don't understand this bit. I thought 'C:' was the only drive! How do I avoid this happening again?

One more question before I do this. Is it worth trying 'Last Known Good Configuration' first?

Ta ta for now.

(Off-subject note: When posting, for some reason I can't change font style, underline, add quote / smiley - or anything for that matter! Think I'm jinxed!!)
Update: I just switched off Avast Online Security browser add-on (free) and guess what - this editor now works properly! Strange eh? :confused: )

Edited by flat-erica, 11 February 2014 - 03:33 PM.

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Back again!
Did as you suggested and here is the result (see attached photo).
I await your response.
x

Update
After a break and some thoughts on the matter (it is now 2.42 am in Scotland) I plucked up the courage to restart XP.

Result:-
initially, same flickering screen. Next, blue screen warning me "a problem has been detected etc" (see same photo)

Losing hope. I'm off to bed now.
Night night x

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4154_crop.jpg

Edited by flat-erica, 11 February 2014 - 08:56 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
I have yet to encounter a driver issue that will not allow you access to your user profile, malware might so you may need the help of the experts on those forums I`m afraid :(

Disk Management showed your HDD to be healthy and with plenty of free storage space available so that is less likely to be the cause.

If you can, start the computer in Safe Mode with Networking and run Speccy, post the resultant url for us please, details here I am hoping that you have both an add on video card and a video chip that is integrated into the MB, this would allow us to swap the video device and see if that helps.

You said ".. issues such as this can often be avoided by not having the OS and other data on the same partition/drive.."
Sorry if I sound stupid but I don't understand this bit. I thought 'C:' was the only drive! How do I avoid this happening again?

I will be happy to help with this as and when we are able to.

flat-erica

flat-erica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
phillpower2:
Thanks again. I know it may sound strange, but I'm actually quite relieved that it may be malware as opposed to a hardware issue!
Several years ago I did have one malware/virus problem which was resolved thanks to Ron on GeeksToGo's malware/spyware forum. I have great faith in you guys. :happy:

I am hoping that you have both an add on video card and a video chip that is integrated into the MB, this would allow us to swap the video device and see if that helps.

Not sure about this bit, or in my confidence to do this!

Anyhoo, one thing at a time eh. Will run Speccy and post the result.
Cheers! x

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
Yes Speccy first please :)