Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Burners suddenly don't Autoplay

• Please log in to reply

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

My Windows XP updates are current.  I always make sure they are up to date.

PCPitstop Overdrive no longer exists.  There is a new program called PCPitstop PC Matic.  I ran that and a window opened up showing results and recommended fixes, but there was no URL for the window, only for the site itself.

The description given in your post is out of date I believe.  There is no ActiveX component to install, or "rapidly moving objects" during the graphics testing.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

PCMatic is not new and it has not replaced the full test, heres the results of a fellow member from a test run a couple of days ago;

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Here is the link: http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25585380

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
My Windows XP updates are current.  I always make sure they are up to date.

Your Speccy results are only showing 4 recent updates as having been installed, there have been that many updates released for XP over the years so Speccy will not show them all but look at this other Speccy report here and you will see that the installed updates shown are dated back to November 2013, is there a possibility that you are missing some due to auto update being disabled.

Download Smartpack from LITEON which will automatically detect and update the firmware for your devices, details here

I note from your test results that you have three AV programs, this is a very bad idea as not only can it cause you all sorts of instability issues with the computer it can also leave your computer totally unprotected as the AV programs fight for control of resources, this can and will leave you vulnerable to malware attack, also keep in mind that this is going to be even more of a security concern when Microsoft stops releasing security updates for XP on April 8th 2014.

One good AV package is all that you need.

I would also get rid of the multiple DVD type software that is installed as this will also cause problems, try one known good Codec pack and burning software and if they are no good uninstall them first and then try something else (Nero is dated 12/6/07).

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

phillpower2, I know that only 4 updates are showing from the PCPitstop scan. However, I know for a fact that since 2005 when I built this machine, I have faithfully installed all updates every week that were provided by Microsoft (except for things like Bing and Silvelight which I don't want or use.) I can't explain why only 4 updates are showing. I noticed this last week as well when I went to the Micrsoft update website and checked my update installation history. It always showed the complete history, but now it only shows updates going back to March 2014. (I wonder if all the various programs that I installed and ran over the last two months trying to solve the DVD play issue may have deleted the history?)

When I get home, I will check for updates of my Liteon drive firmware. (I do go to the website from time to time, but the firmware is always the same as what I have installed, so I don't think that's the issue. By the way, I just replaced one of the two drives last year and I know it's firmware is up to date.)

Regarding my AV program, I run only one: ESET Smart Security. I have other programs such as Malewarebytes, but they are used only for on-demand scanning. I am well aware of the problems that may arise from having two or more AV programs running at the same time. That's why I have only one.

I mostly use Nero for burning CDs and DVDs. Occasionally when I need to burn an ISO image, I use Image Burn. I have used both programs without any problems for the last 9 years.

I use K-Lite Mega Codec Pack which I keep up to date with the most current (non-Beta) version. That is where I get Media Player Classic.

Regarding the comment from Twisterr: as I mentioned above, I just replaced one optical drive with a brand new one, so a "worn out" laser is not the issue. The "worn out" laser theory also doesn't explain why the problem appeared at the same point in time for both optical drives (one new and one older).

Frankly, I don't know what else can be done. As mentioned before, my last resort is to restore to a known malware free image taken of the entire C:\ drive from March 2012. My important data is backed up to an external drive, and except for the minor inconvenience of updating Windows XP and a handful of other programs, I don't see how I can be any worse off than now.

Edit:  I checked for firmware updates for my two optical drives by going to the Liteon website link you provided.  Both drives have the most current firmware updates.

Edited by Jackpine, 04 April 2014 - 03:35 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
it always showed the complete history, but now it only shows updates going back to March 2014. (I wonder if all the various programs that I installed and ran over the last two months trying to solve the DVD play issue may have deleted the history?)

If this was the case the operating system would have been corrupted resulting in a non bootable computer.

Regarding my AV program, I run only one: ESET Smart Security. I have other programs such as Malewarebytes, but they are used only for on-demand scanning. I am well aware of the problems that may arise from having two or more AV programs running at the same time. That's why I have only one.

NOD32 v3.x FiX 1.1 by TemDono (Free Updates - Expire in 2050)   3/16/14 typeantivirus.gif

NOD32 v3.0.642 FiX1.2 by TemDono (31 days remaining forever up   3/16/14 typeantivirus.gif

ESET Smart Security
(4.0.314.0) ESET, spol s r. o. 4/12/09 typeantivirus.gif

Having Malwarebytes installed is fine and it`s use is indeed recommended, there are however two other AV programs installed apart from ESET and running or not there is the potential for conflicts, if you do not use them why in fact are they even installed, the same for all the DVD software variants, it is your computer and entirely up to yourself but if me I would get rid of the lot and start afresh so as to try and rule out software conflicts as the cause.

Regarding the comment from Twisterr: as I mentioned above, I just replaced one optical drive with a brand new one, so a "worn out" laser is not the issue. The "worn out" laser theory also doesn't explain why the problem appeared at the same point in time for both optical drives (one new and one older).

I concur, the drives burn, play and read media albeit when done manually but it would appear to prove that there is nothing amiss with the lasers on the drives.

Frankly, I don't know what else can be done. As mentioned before, my last resort is to restore to a known malware free image taken of the entire C:\ drive from March 2012. My important data is backed up to an external drive, and except for the minor inconvenience of updating Windows XP and a handful of other programs, I don't see how I can be any worse off than now.

Again it is entirely your choice if you feel that nothing more can be done.

I am puzzled by the missing XP updates and it is a pity that we did not know this sooner as it is entirely possible that this and the lack of auto play are in some way connected.

Regarding the use of the back up image, would you be able to lay your hands on a second HDD and install the image to that, just a thought and I realise that it may not be possible. 

Edit:  I checked for firmware updates for my two optical drives by going to the Liteon website link you provided.  Both drives have the most current firmware update.

As you can see by the details below both are dated 7/1/01 some 13+ years ago, if you refer to reply #282 here you will see that there is a firmware available that was released on 03/24/2009

Category Driver Make Driver Details Driver

Status DVD/CD-ROM Devices ATAPI iHAP322 8   7/1/01
5.1.2535. 0 check.gif

DVD/CD-ROM Devices ATAPI iHAP422 W   7/1/01

0 check.gif

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

When I checked the properties of DVD/CD-ROM Devices ATAPI iHAP322 8, it showed the firmware version as UL19, the same as provided by the link (reply #282).  The other drive, DVD/CD-ROM Devices ATAPI iHAP422 W, is newer and its firmware is 7L14.  As I mentioned, the Smartpack from Liteon showed that firmware for both drives is current.

Regarding the AV, I can only find ESET Smart Security as a program.  I checked Add/Remove, and I can't find:

NOD32 v3.x FiX 1.1 by TemDono (Free Updates - Expire in 2050)   3/16/14 typeantivirus.gif

NOD32 v3.0.642 FiX1.2 by TemDono (31 days remaining forever up   3/16/14

How can they be removed? 

Is there any thing else that can be done to solve this mystery?

Edited by Jackpine, 05 April 2014 - 05:58 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Sorry for the delay - I got sidetracked

NOD32 is another AV product provided by ESET, see here and removal procedure/s here

PCPitstop is telling us different so I would save the latest drivers to the desktop, create a new restore point, uninstall the present drivers, restart the computer in Safe Mode and then install the known latest drivers that you saved to your desktop.

Also worth trying is swapping the DMA mode to either PIO mode or if in PIO mode already try the drives in DMA mode, it is a long shot but it will cost nothing only your time to check, a guide here

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

phillpower2, I want to clarify the business about Microsoft updates:

When I go to Add/Remove and check Show Updates, all Microsoft updates that have been installed on my computer from day one are shown.

However, when I go to the Microsoft Update website and look at the history, it only goes back to March 17, 2014.  Whereas it used to go back to 2005.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

phillpower2, I want to clarify the business about Microsoft updates:

When I go to Add/Remove and check Show Updates, all Microsoft updates that have been installed on my computer from day one are shown.

However, when I go to the Microsoft Update website and look at the history, it only goes back to March 17, 2014.  Whereas it used to go back to 2005.

Acknowledged.

Advertisements

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Hi phillpower2,

I was on a Puppy Linux forum and discovered that VLC will auto-launch DVDs, while Gnome-mplayer will not.  The most current version of Puppy that I have doesn't include VLC.  How can I install it?  Do I have to be in Puppy to begin with?

The reason I want to do this of course, is to see if VLC will auto play DVDs while I'm running Puppy.

Thank you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Try downloading VLC once you have booted into Puppy, details here

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Latest developments:

1. I gave a work colleague my USB drive with Puppy on it.  He booted into Puppy and then inserted a disc into his drive.  (The default media player in Puppy is Gxine.)  The DVD did not auto play.  He had to click the Play icon on the desktop, and only then would it play.  This is the same result I got when I tried this.
  2. I downloaded and installed VLC player.  (Never having used Puppy in my life until recently, this was more difficult to do than it seems, particuarly without any detailed instruction.)  I inserted a disc and nothing happened.  I don't know how to make VLC the default player.  I had to search on various forums for instructions.  Maybe I gummed things up.  I don't know.

Unfortunately, with this problem being investigated for almost two months, it's hard to maintain patience.  What else can we possibly do?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

1: Acknowledged.

2: My apologies but in my haste I neglected to add a link  :blush:

The information here should have been included.

Other than trying the drives in another computer or an IDE to SATA converter I am stuck for ideas  :(

I will keep on thinking of things to try.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Hi phillpower2,

I've been away from home due to work the last couple of days, and won't be able to try running Puppy with VLC until Sunday.  I will post the results then.