Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Had various viruses, am I now clean? [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello again,

I have been away from the computer for the past couple of days, but I attempted to install the driver from the Creative website on Tuesday evening and - as far as I am aware - it installed okay. However, there is no sound at all now when the three leads are joined by the connector. I tried removing the connector cable and connecting the three cables to their individual sockets: when I do this, I do have sound, but it is not coming from all the speakers (there is no sound from the two front speakers - the two back speakers and the central one are okay). The sound seems to be okay when the individual leads are plugged in (i.e. there is no interference). If I attempt to look at a video on YouTube though, the sound is still terrible!

Below, I will try to give you any information I can think of that might be relevant: -

If I go into Device Manager now and click on Creative SB X-Fi, it says that the driver version is 6.0.230.4 and is dated 28/02/2014.

Also in Device Manager, there is an exclamation mark by 'Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus'. Every time I turn the computer on now I get the message: 'Found New Hardware on High Definition Audio Bus'. The 'Found New Hardware Wizard' then appears and tries to get me to search for software for SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec.

If I click on 'Sounds and Audio Devices' in the Control Panel, it tells me that the speaker setup is: 5.1 surround sound speakers which I believe is the same as it was when the speakers were working.

There is now an Audio Control Panel on here for the Creative SB X-Fi, but I have no idea what any of the settings in it should be! Under the 'Speakers' tab, it says 5.1. There is a tick by 'Synchronize with Microsoft Windows Control Panel' and SVM is set to 'Off'.

I cannot think of anything else you might need to know at the moment, so will say goodbye for now.

Chris.

Edited by Channeal, 19 April 2014 - 06:19 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Check Dell to see if they provide their own drivers for the Creative audio device, Dell homepage

i tried removing the connector cable and connecting the three cables to their individual sockets:

Which connector cable and which 3 sockets please.

Also in Device Manager, there is an exclamation mark by 'Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus'. Every time I turn the computer on now a get the message: 'Found New Hardware on High Definition Audio Bus'.

If you are able to get the Creative audio device working correctly the Sigma device can be uninstalled/disabled in the BIOS, this will stop the on screen prompt.

1. Click the Start button on the Windows Taskbar 
2. Select Run 
3. Type dxdiag in the available text field 
4. Click OK 

Select the Sound  tab- you can determine your sound device, driver, and features on the Sound Tab, select the test tab and let us know the outcome.

* Device Name - The common name for your audio device, most commonly the name of the device sold in stores. 
* Default Device - If more than one audio device is installed in this computer, this will allow you to determine if the one you are looking at is the one being used by games. 
* Driver Version - The version number and language of the driver installed for your sound card. This is important in determining if you have the most recent drivers installed. 
* Date - Not necessarily an important field, however it’s a good indicator for determining if it’s time to update your drivers. 
* Features Hardware Sound Acceleration Level -The hardware acceleration slider will determine if advanced audio features are used when launching a DirectX application. 

I will see if I can find a user manual for the Creative device.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Thanks for your reply.

The Dell download page only comes up with 3 drivers: Sigmatel STAC92XX C-Major HD Audio Driver,  nVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE video driver and one which says 'Software support for Intel Chipsets'. (I have no idea what the latter is, but it says it is 'urgent'!)

Now for the speaker set up. In Post No 72 I wrote: -

"The speakers are plugged into the sound card connectors. I was initially confused by the diagram you gave me, as the back of my computer is a bit different. I looked at the diagram on my own instructions and was initially still a little confused.... then I realised that the integrated sound connectors are covered by a cap - and my instructions say that, if that is the case, you should not remove the cap but should instead connect the speakers via the sound-card connectors. The thing I was never sure about though is whether or not I should use the connecting cable (as shown in your example in the top 'integrated sound' diagram) to join the three cables. At the moment, this has been used and the lead is plugged into the green socket."

Using the connecting cable no longer seems to work. In the diagram you gave me in Post No. 71, you can see the connecting cable I am talking about - it is shown in the top one of the two diagrams for integrated sound (although in the diagram, the connector cable is plugged into the motherboard and not the sound card). Previously, using the connector to join up the 3 cables (yellow, green and black) and plugging it into the green socket worked - but now it doesn't, so I have now tried plugging each colour separately into the sockets according to their colours (just as has been done for the sound card in your diagram). I am sorry, I do not know how to explain any more than this.... nor do I know what each socket is called, I only know their colours!

I did the dxdiag test and everything was fine. You can see the results below.

Thanks again for your help. I am sorry if I am a bit stupid and cannot always answer your questions very easily. When I first posed my original question about the viruses, I didn't realise it would get so complicated! I am a little bit out of my comfort zone here.......

Chris.

Attached Thumbnails

• DXTestResults.JPG

Edited by Channeal, 19 April 2014 - 07:55 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

The chipset driver should be updated as that is what basically keeps all of your hardware working in harmony, please make sure that you create a new restore point first.

Some help from Creative here and here

Sound quality issues addressed here

No need for any apology btw, I should have simply asked what colour the connections are.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello again,

Just to let you know I am still around......

I updated the chipset driver - or at least, I thought I did! It seemed to go smoothly - but when I do the Dell scan again, it still tells me to update the chipset driver. No idea why!

Thanks for your links relating to the sound issues. I haven't had time to look at them in great detail over the holiday weekend, due to family commitments. I have also had another new computer problem which has taken up some time in trying (unsuccessfully) to sort out. Our Dell All-in-one Photo Printer 944 developed problems (the cartridge kept stalling) - so I uninstalled the printer and attempted to reinstall from the original CD. The first installation screen comes up, but when I click on the option for personal installation (as opposed to network) the screen disappears and nothing happens. I tried copying all the files from the CD onto the desktop, but the same happens when I try to install from there. If I try to install using the 'Found New Hardware Wizard',it tells me there was a problem installing. I have no idea what else I can do!

I am feeling that I have had more than enough of computers recently!

Chris.

PS I just found a copy of the download files for my printer on download.com and tried to use that to install the printer. But something strange is going on here..... I got the same message that I got once before in my earlier attempts, telling me that several of the dll files cannot be copied to the destination directory. The first of these files is dlcdDR5C.DLL. I have found this file (and at least one of the other files mentioned as not being able to be copied) in C:\dell\drivers\R147270\drivers\Win_XP2K\i386

Edited by Channeal, 22 April 2014 - 09:33 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Hello Channeal

For the printer issue can you please start a new topic here please feel free to copy/paste your reply #80 into your OP there to save you tapping it all out again, as godawgs has given the computer the all clear we can continue with any other tech issues at your new topic once the printer issue is resolved. 

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Okay. Thanks very much.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

You are most welcome  :)

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.