Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help diagnosing possible hardware problem

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

1. Sit tight for now. No more diagnostics of any kind. yes.
2. When USB gets here, do the USB backup. yes.
3. Run the chkdsk /f C: before I start the transfer process to the new hard drive?No.

1. Check the USB backup to make sure it is accessible and your files are there.
2. With the the PSU disconnect, remove the SATA signal and power cables from the old HDD.
3. Install the new Drive, > Clean install of the system, set up as you want.
4. Run and test the computer to make sure you have no more issues.
5. connect the old drive, > transfer your Data.

I would not bother testing the old drive, providing you are sure there is nothing on it you need.
Wipe the drive, > perform a extended format, then test to see its condition.
Possible keep it for backups but if in doubt, dump it.

Advertisements

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
OK, thanks. I will reply when I've finished all that. Probably Monday evening or Tuesday depending on when the items arrive.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Posted Image

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hi again.

Looks Like I really screwed this up. I went to install Windows just like I did on the original build, and the Installation got to the first "Windows is installing files" or whatever with the "0%" at start and the progress dots "..." blinking next to it, and it just hung there. I waited, and waited, and waited, but 45 minutes later it was still at 0%. I tried hitting "Cancel" or whatever the choice was to exit installation. It said the usual "Are you sure?" or whatever, and I clicked yes. Then it went to a blue screen with a message about no data would be saved from the install or something and that screen just hung there, too. I waited almost 30 minutes to see if it would finish, but it just stayed like that. The only thing I could think to do was power down manually.

Then the next time I tried to run the install, it said "No Drives Detected" when I got to the point where you choose the drive to install Windows on. So, I went online, looked at a few solutions like restoring the original BIOS (UEFI in my motherboard) settings, checking cables, and the next time I tried to run the installation, it came back with "Bootmgr is missing". Looked online again, and the only explanation I saw that made sense was I have a corrupted install (because of either the hang or my power down).

I tried hooking the new hard drive up as a 2nd drive and looking in My Computer. When it's connected there is a new "System Reserved (F:)" (Space Free 86.2 MB Total Size 99.9 MB), and "Local Disk (H:)", which I can't look at or access at all. Every time I try right-clicking to open a menu on it, the "My Computer" window with all the drives listed freezes. At the top it starts displaying (Not Responding). Waited about 5 minutes on that, but it stayed frozen. Had to manually end the task in Task Manager just to close the window.

So, that's where I am. I'm unhooking everything from the new drive since I can't do squat with it. Luckily my old drive is still chugging along. I'll check back tomorrow to see what you want me to try.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Sorry to hear your'r having problems, a hang could be poor media, OD play up, wrong BOIS setting,+ so I think another attempt is in order. Got your manual, so new instructions to follow. Please read through and follow this very pedantic windows install, If you get a hang again you can give the exact screen.
> http://pcsupport.abo...tall-part-1.htm

> Disconnect the PSU and monitor. > Disconnect all USB devices except the mouse and keyboard.
> Disconnect the old HDD.
> Connect the new HDD to SATA #1 port, White,
> Connect the OD to SATA port #4 Blue.
> Disconnect the Floppy Drive, (if present.)

> clear the CMOS using the onboard jumper.
> Connect, turn on monitor, Connect, turn on PSU.
> Boot and enter BIOS, > set date and time,
> Confirm that AHCI is enabled for the SATA ports.
> Set CD as first boot. NB. If a option for a floppy drive is present, please set to disable.
> Put the OS installation disk in the OD.
Press F10 to save settings and exit.

At restart, Windows Setup should start.

>

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hi again.

Did all your steps exactly and got the Windows 7 installation started (yay).
Got to step 7 of 15 in the guide you linked (the screen that says "Setup is starting..." ) and... nothing.
The mouse cursor changed to the spinning blue wheel, and nothing else happened. I waited about 10 minutes to see if anything would happen, then powered down manually (if there's another way to exit that hung screen, please let me know). I tried restarting and running the installation again, and it started all right, went through to the same spot I got to before ("Setup is starting..." ), and hung again with the spinning blue wheel. Waited about 15 minutes the second time, but it stayed hung again.

Don't know if it matters, but I put a brand new Sata2 cable on the CD/DVD drive last night since some people said their problem was a bad cable. I also experimented this morning with a few games that required a "Play" CD or DVD to be in the drive to run the games, just to see if I was having any problems reading discs. All those worked fine.

Next?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Bummer, possible damaged disc so a new legal ISO form Digital River is needed, (second link). Save to the desktop, You can burn the ISO to a DVD or USB stick using this special Microsoft software. NB. This tool can only be used for any Windows 7 ISO, it will not work on other ISO files.
> Click to open the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download toolinstallation file.
> Windows 7, Home Premium 64Bit: http://msft.digitalr...n/X17-58997.iso SHA1 Hash value: 6C9058389C1E2E5122B7C933275F963EDF1C07B9

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Ok, I got the ISO written to USB finally. Looked inside, and everything looks extracted and healthy after the write.

It's after 10pm here, so if you want me to try and run the Windows install from USB, I'll have to wait till tomorrow. Go ahead and give me whatever instructions you have and I should get back in 12-14 hours.

Thanks. :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Posted Image
Use the same hardware configuration as last time. You will need to enter BIOS and set the USB as first Boot, > insert the USB stick, > Save setting and exit, > at Boot up, windows will install.

Hope you have better luck this time. Will look for your update tomorrow..

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Ok, I got the Install started with USB (My motherboard's BIOS [UEFI] requires the stick to be inserted prior to power up for it to appear in Boot Options, by the way), and got to Page 5 of 15 in the install guide you linked.

The screen background would show up, but without the box/window containing the choices for Language, Time/Currency, and Keyboard Input Method. It was just the background. The spinning blue wheel would appear at first when the background did, then after about 3-5 seconds change to a mouse cursor (which I could move no matter how long I waited), and nothing else happened. I waited 15 minutes, nothing happened, then powered down manually. I tried it a second time, got to the same point as before, waited 15 minutes again, with the same result.

I don't know if it matters, but the L.E.D. light on the back of my flash drive stayed on without flashing when I got to this point both times I tried. From what I could find online, this generally means a flash drive is On, but not Active (i.e. not transferring data). During the beginning of the install process up to that point, the flash drive would blink. I looked on the Pretec website for any confirmation regarding the 3 states of L.E.D. function (Off, Flashing, and On But Not Flashing) to see if they mean the same as generally, but found no info.

I'm awaiting your instructions, Sir.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Possible the ISO download or the burn has a corruption, only takes one bit to be wrong and the installation will fail.
Before proceeding, I have asked another Tech to take a look in case I have missed something. He is in the UK, so will be closer to your time.

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Ok, thanks for the update and all your help.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
Personally I would start afresh and wipe the new HDD clean, I recall that you have a 4gig (SDHC card in USB adapter) so you can use that to download Secure HDD Erase to, details here

Windows 7 will also give you the opportunity to format the HDD again during the installation process, it is up to you but if me I would so that you know that you have done your utmost to ensure a clean install.

Be sure to disconnect any other storage devices from the computer before you begin, this will ensure that only the target device is wiped.

If your Windows 7 OEM disk is one that was purchased from a retailer and not a burned copy of an OEM disk I would use that, this after closely inspecting the disk for signs of damage.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Phillpower2
Thanks for coming in, reviewing the topic and for your instructions, will wait for Cabranth to post a result.

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hi phillpower,

I will try to do all that. I won't be able to start for another 4 hours or so, so replies will be this afternoon earliest (7:45am here now).
I'm reduced to the new 32GB USB, because my SDHC to USB adapter stopped working. Tried it in all 4 USB slots, but no dice. The SDHC card still works in my phone, I just need to buy a new $3 adapter. Oh well, the 32GB is working fine.

I will look closely at my Win 7 DVD, but I have been gentle with it, and trying to install on the new HDD was only the 2nd time I ever took it out of the plastic case. Last 2 years & 3 months it has sat safe in the bottom drawer of a dresser. Temp probably never exceeded 60F-80F range, either.