Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Did I blow my hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

nitroexpress476

nitroexpress476

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Dear Experts,

I have an older computer with Windows XP Professional and I have an IDE hard drive. I am not verry good on these issues, so I am asking your help.

Yesterday while using the computer, I noticed that the lights on the face of the case did not work. Since I have a clear plastic panel on the operating side of the case, I noticed that a two prong plug was disconnected.

I removed the transparent side of the case to connect the wire to the plug. When I did so, there was a small spark and the computer shut down.

Since that has happened, when I start the computer, it moves along for a momant and the displays the message " DISK BOOT FAILURE - INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND HIT ENTER"

I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING AND WANTED TO KNOW IF I RUINED THE HARD DRIVE?

Please let me know when you can. Thank you in advance for your help.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

More likely the power supply, but try this.

Can you boot to BIOS Setup?

If yes, does it show the hard drive.