Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to resolve DNS and failure to load pages in all browsers [Re-op

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
OK does this only happen in the browsers?

Advertisements

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

[bleep]!  I forgot to check that little detail.  Back in a few :)

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

ALrighty then...   Can't check Crhome cuz we aint reinstalling it, they still break up in Firefox but sadly, they don't in IE10.  This video is always guaranteed to break up and it plays perfect in IE10.

I'm off to check a few videos NON internet... BRB.

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Here is what I get when I try to play movies without using RealPlayer...

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

Going to try it with QuickTime.

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Quick Time gives us no sound but have video...  is it OK to use RealPlayer?  Because clearly Windows won't open them.

I personally despise IE10 and refuse to run it, I love Chrome, but he hates it.  This is his machine.  WHat browser do you use?  And aside from IE, Firefox and Chrome what options are there?  Opera?  Safari?  Predominantly those are Mac but I hear hey have expanded to Windows...

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
That video plays fine also and reminded me of Joy Division. It looks like a Firefox issue. Did you Reset Firefox?. I use Chrome and IE :) In the meantime......

1. Try this player for the files, it plays almost anything. What file extension are they? Mpegs, Avi? VLC player

2. Check at the Intel site as I have to use this site as Windows tell me mine are up to date until I visit here.

Click the Link Intel Support and click Check your system for updates Follow the prompts to install an Active x. This will scan your PC for any updates. Install any Intel Chipset drivers.

I will get back to you on this tomorrow as I have Fire Training in a few hours time then a NightShift till 6am. I have hours inbetween to look at this issue in more detail. :thumbsup:

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

I'm glad you're giving me time to get through all this.  Have fun at Fire Training (hubby was a volunteer fireman at one time) and have a great day at wirk.  We'll catch up tomorrow :)

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

OK... he is using Firefox and is on eBay... everything was good, then BOOM.  The page locked up while looking at strobe lights (of course there are short videos).  Like always, the back button does nothing, the red X does nothing, can't scroll up or down and was forced to use CTL/ALT/DEL to get rid of the page.  Got the message that a plugin had become unresponsive.  Then the DNS could not be resolved.

ANd to answer your earlier question, yes, I reset both Internet Explorer and Firefox.

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Today I squirted all sorts of Fire Extinguishers, great fun!!......and hope I never have to use one for real :)

Firefox it is then and a particular plugin possibly Shockwave Flash. If that plugin needs updating then uncheck the Mcafee security scan box before downloading. Let's check if all plugins are up to date.
  • Open Firefox, click on the Orange Firefox button and select Add-ons now select Plugins
  • Above the Plugins list is a link Check to see if your plugins are up to date Click it!
  • A new tab will open and list which need updating. Update any that need updating by clicking the red update button.
  • Some entries may say Research tell me what those are.
  • After updating try the vids again. I think it may be Shockwave Flash causing the issue, so Uncheck the Mcafee scan.

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Like seven plug-ins need to be updated and some Java deployment toolkit 7.0.510.13 10.51.2.13 is vulnerble...  Started updating SHockwaveand didn't uncheck the stupid McAffe box box so I killed the update immediately and restarted it.

Advertisements

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

QuickTime, 2 Java and a ShockWave all need updating and the message says they are 'vulnerable'  Also, Firefox keeps preventing the Java deployent Toolkit from running because it is potentially unsafe.  It's asking if I should continue blocking or allow it.

Edited by ColtsFan18, 09 April 2014 - 03:18 PM.

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Ok so update those plugins then use the following link and install Java again. After the update has finished, Java will open a browser window and ask to uninstall older versions please do this also.

Java Update

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

What about that deployment toolkit?

I have downloaded all the updates, followed your instructions and all that but it still says they need to be updated.  GRRRR!  This is why I hate Firefox!

Edited by ColtsFan18, 09 April 2014 - 03:29 PM.

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Hey buddy... I hate to start the fun and bail on you, but I have to leave in 20 minutes for my grandsons first T-Ball game so I'll check for any further instrsctions when I get home, at which point you'll probably be off for the night... but tomorrow is another day.

P.S.  I hate Firefox.

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
I'm not much of a fan either :)

OK simply Disable that plugin and see if the issue continues, you may not even need it. The plugin was supposed to be disabled before updating Java, my bad.

Is Shockwave updated? Writing this from works computer (naughty)