Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to resolve DNS and failure to load pages in all browsers [Re-op

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

You bad little fireman!  OK.....

I disabled the plug in and went to update Java per your instrustions and got a window that says The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.  Click Ok to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package jre 1.7.0_45-c.msi in the box below.  I'd love to post a pic/thumbnail but everythime I try to is shows up as a broken link, I'm using photobucket.

Good thing I wasn't trying to post a picture of my grandson!

Shockwave has been updated as well but says it still needs to be updated.

I hate this machine.

Advertisements

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Hmmmm we will try a different tack. This program will remove old entries and update Java. Leave that plugin disabled.
  • Java is one of the most exploited software at this time and the majority of home users can do without it. Installing the latest updates is also important
  • The easiest way to find out if Java is needed is to disable Java in your web browser. (see link below)
  • If a trusted program or webpage asks for Java then enable it, otherwise Uninstall completely using JavaRa

Update or Remove Java

• Use this link to download JavaRa
  • Open the zip folder and extract all files. Right click the Javara icon and run as administrator
  • Run JavaRa.exe, then click on Remove Java Runtime.
  • Select the Java version you have from the drop down list, and then click on Run Uninstaller
  • Press Yes if it asks to uninstall the product.
  • Allow the uninstaller to remove the installed version.
  • Follow the next steps only if you want to keep Java install the latest version
  • When its finished, go back to JavaRa, and click Back
  • Click on Update Java Runtime and then select Download and install latest version.
  • Press Next
  • Press Java Manual Download.
  • A browser window will open with the Java download page.
  • Click the Windows offline link to download Java.
  • Run the installer.
  • Close JavaRa

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
Im on it.

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Done...........

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Just tried Covenent Bullet and it still skips.  I have a feeling if he wants online videos he is going to be forced to use Internet Explorer.

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

HOWEVER!  I'd like to add that it is 99% better that it was before we started.

Could it be the RAM and the resources each browser uses?  For instance... he hates tabs (I love them) so for every task he opens a new window.  Regardless of what browser he is using...  This machine only has 2G of RAM.

Edited by ColtsFan18, 10 April 2014 - 07:33 PM.

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Yes Firefox is a pain and so can Chrome be. IE is the easiest to fix and is a reallly good browser. What is your issue with IE? :)

We will blast Firefox this time.

1. Uninstall Firefox
  • Click Start then select Control Panel
  • In control panel click Uninstall a Program or Programs and Features and uninstall the following:
  • Firefox
2. Update Shockwave Flash3. Re-install FirefoxTry some videos in Youtube :)

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Years back when virus and trojans were all new and becoming an issue they all targeted IE, so we switched to Firefox, and then to Chrome.  On my machine I can't even get IE10 to OPEN.  It gives me the microsoft homepage but loads nothing else. It hates me.  It's just so...... Bill Gatesy.  But to shut his whining down I'll do near anything.

I'll blast Firefox once more time, then he can use IE10 and STFU.

Edited by ColtsFan18, 10 April 2014 - 07:43 PM.

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Still skipping.  Now I hate Firefox too.

It can't be the RAM if they work in IE10.  Its definitely a browser issue.

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Yes it's a Firefox issue that's for sure. I'm going to get some advice here about this to see if I've overlooked something. I'm pretty sure I covered all angles. Once I have a reply I will get back to you O.K

Advertisements

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

You got it.   I'm SURE you've covered everything. But check with them, no hurry.

Edited by ColtsFan18, 10 April 2014 - 07:58 PM.

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
I have posted the issue and many more eyes will be on it, including mine of course. Not sure when I will get a reply but probably will have a post tomorrow if I don't hear anything tonight. I am determined to crack this Firefox nut! Thanks for sticking with me Colts :)

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
Heck yes ill stick with you. Remember, youre my favorite geek! :)

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts

OK had some great info on this and will post shortly :)

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Hi there :)

So we kicked this issue about a bit, hit it with some precision hammers and maybe a conclusion has been reached. My conclusion from this possible conclusion is that Firefox has the potential to be pants! :)

You do mention that you only have 2GB of RAM installed which is fine for Windows 7 64bit. 64bit however, likes to have 3 - 4 GB to play with, but is not essential and shouldn't affect the smooth playing of Videos unless you have a lot of processes running. If you want to upgrade to 3 or 4GB RAM then Window 7 will run a bit nicer for you but again this is not essential. If you had Vista running on 1GB which is the minimum recommended then I would say you needed more RAM but Windows 7 handles RAM a lot better. OK moving on..... :)

1. Let's fiddle with Firefox
  • Open Firefox (I know you don't want to but you have to)
  • Click the Orange Firefox button, hover the mouse over Help and click Restart with Add-ons Disabled
  • At the prompt click Restart then click Start in Safe Mode
  • Now play some Youtube Videos. Don't install any Flash Players if prompted. Are they running OK, get back to me on this :thumbsup: