Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8.1 KB2919355 update fails

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

I tried updating 2 more times and picked up a 80200056 error (do not have permission? )  and the second error was back to the 80200056.

I need some info on where to locate the dims log...Thanks .

Lets get a better log, locate C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log copy the CBS.log file to the Desktop zip it and attach to the post.

Advertisements

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

I don't have a CBS.log...There is just a C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS with no extension and says text doc to the right.

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.zip   1.62MB   488 downloads

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

I downloaded the offline KB2919355 pesky update and saved to desktop. Tried to install it and it wrecked everything. I spent the last 2 hours picking up the pieces and getting things back in shape, sfc and scanhealth passes now. Good grief.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

I downloaded the offline KB2919355 pesky update and saved to desktop. Tried to install it and it wrecked everything. I spent the last 2 hours picking up the pieces and getting things back in shape, sfc and scanhealth passes now. Good grief.

Now that sfc and scanhealth report everything ok I would try this, some users report success after this:

dism /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_KB2919355~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.3.1.14
dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

Then reinstall the update with the Antivirus disabled just in case.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

I get an error on the first one...maybe because I restored to an earlier point ? "This specific pkg is not a valid windows pkg"

dism

[2860] Caller did not request sparse mount
[2860] Mounting new image.
Wim:         [\\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition5\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim]
Image Index: [1]
Mount Path:  [C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX]
[2860] Wimserv process started for guidXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.  Id is 2900
[2900] ImageUnmarshallHandle: Reconstituting wim at \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition5\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim.
[2900] Mounted image at C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
[2860] [0x8007007b] FIOReadFileIntoBuffer:(1415): The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
[2860] [0xc142011c] UnmarshallImageHandleFromDirectory:(511)
[2860] [0xc142011c] WIMGetMountedImageHandle:(2568)
[2860] [0x8007007b] FIOReadFileIntoBuffer:(1415): The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
[2860] [0xc142011c] UnmarshallImageHandleFromDirectory:(511)
[2860] [0xc142011c] WIMGetMountedImageHandle:(2568)
[2860] ImageUnmarshallHandle: Reconstituting wim at \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition5\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim.
[2860] ImageUnmarshallHandle: Reconstituting wim at \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition5\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim.
[2860] [0x80070070] ReadWriteDataInternal:(134): There is not enough space on the disk.
[2860] [0x80070070] WriteDataCallback:(1143): There is not enough space on the disk.
[2860] [0x80070070] AddCaptureNodeToImage:(4190): There is not enough space on the disk.
[2860] [0xc144012e]

Attached Thumbnails

• 4 19.JPG

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

I am going to stop and take a day or 2 and re-group. And then make those DVD's you mentioned. Then I will be ready to hit it again.

Is there any way to fix the store on the other SSD which is a clone that had the scan health failure? Can I copy the store out of the good clone to the bad clone?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

I get an error on the first one...maybe because I restored to an earlier point ? "This specific pkg is not a valid windows pkg"

Yes restoring will remove the package.

I am going to stop and take a day or 2 and re-group. And then make those DVD's you mentioned. Then I will be ready to hit it again.

Is there any way to fix the store on the other SSD which is a clone that had the scan health failure? Can I copy the store out of the good clone to the bad clone?

It seems a good idea this update is problematic and allot of things can make the update failing to install.

You can try to run the /restorehealth several times it actually uses Windows Update when trying to correct the detected problems and if I'm not mistaken one time you got an error that seems to indicate a failure accessing the windows update servers.

Edit: One last thing can you post the result of the following command inside the Command Prompt running as Administrator:

recimg /showcurrent

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Here you go.

Attached Thumbnails

• 4 19a - Copy.JPG

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Here you go.

Thanks. I was expecting to see some reference to partition5 but no!

Ok continue with your plan.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Well I checked SFC and scanhealth and everything is in order and the machine runs good and the SOB installed ! A happy day !!

I did a restore point and also installed the next 2 updates and checked SFC and scanhealth again and all is good.

Did the last restore point and getting ready to clone the SSD to an identical 840 Pro.

What I have learned over time:

Whenever you do a windows update always set a restore point first and do an SFC afterward. If the updates screw up restore to last good config and only install a few updates at a time and check SFC each time and do a restore point.

For some reason, like on a new operating system install, when you have a boat load of updates it just doesn't like it sometimes and SFC will fail. I have had that happen more than once. So, just do a few at a time and check SFC each time like I was saying and do a restore point.

If you have to restart after an update, do it twice and wait a couple minutes before you do the second restart. That may not do anything but I have had good luck doing it that way.

This 355 update was a pest and had me pulling my hair out. I looked down and it was performing maintenance according to the icon on the bottom right while it was installing and that made me nervous but I lucked out.

Restoring to an earlier point is a problem most of the time unless I go to msconfig/startup and select safe mode start and re-boot. Then it seems to always restore. Then, before you shut it off go to msconfig/startup and un-select safe mode start. Last I knew you cannot get to safe mode by pounding the button on start up. There is however a dual-boot option on start up that you can install that will take you there if you select it. Many of you are wise to that already. I used it for a while a year ago but was tired of the extra step in logging into windows so I canned it.

I stumble and fumble and bumble my way through this sh__ I mean stuff and thanks for all the help..I really appreciate it. 

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

I'm glad you find the solution for the problem, very good job :thumbsup:

It seems the KB2919335 install can be affected by a lot of things from system configuration changes to installed programs, in most cases it's not easy to find the reason, maybe Microsoft will fix that!

By the way the official way to access Safe Mode can be found here I don't remember exactly why but using msconfig to archive that isn't recommended.

Edited by SleepyDude, 21 April 2014 - 04:58 AM.
Fixed the link.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Thank you thank you but sometimes it's better to be lucky than good lol. :-) The official safe mode link takes me back to this thread so try er again ...I want to be official when I enter safe mode!

Duplicate SSD is cloned and I will install it soon, and set up the over-provisioning and check SFC and drive health.. There was one more hidden something after the last 2 windows updates after the pesky 335. After my machine was updated, or so I thought, and was running for a while I shut it down and upon re-start it updated again so i did another restore point after I restarted it again.

All is well and I am prepared with my back-up SSD for the next possible self inflicted disaster that comes my way.......  What does this button do ?....ooops..., [bleep]  LOL

Thanks

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

I have corrected the link, sorry. The new forum editor sometimes play tricks on me...

It seems you are covered :)

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

My machine is set up to mimick windows 7, in fact one may think it is windows 7 till they catch onto the gag and find there way onto the app screen..I have trouble with the app screen because once I am in there I can't find my way out of it sometimes...it is just miserable for me to deal with. 

The way your link describes to get into safe mode causes me grief because it is more steps than the way I get to safe mode.

Safe mode is actually useless to a PC that has a crashed operating system and won't boot up because as you say you can pound on F8 and most likely you won't get to safe mode. 

The dual boot option is the only logical answer, as far as I know anyhow, to be able to restore a damaged operating system from safe mode and I remember now that if you don't select either option it will by default boot up to windows normally in 3 seconds.if you set it to 3. The drawback is you have to wait another few seconds for the machine to boot under normal operation. I take my chances without it being that I have a back up SSD.

http://www.eightforu...indows-8-a.html

Edited by woodrow896, 21 April 2014 - 09:23 AM.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I have been working with computers for 16 years and by no means am I any kind of an expert. I do what I have to do with them and I get by and know a few tricks and how to trouble shoot a little bit and sometimes have to rely on a little help from my friends :-)
In all due respect I find Windows 8 absolutely useless to me and if there was not a way to get windows 7 on this latest notebook I would have done so.
What the heck was Microsoft thinking.
I use Rhapsody as an example to download music on my 7 machine so I find a Rhapsody app on the 8 machine and an hour later and 10 bucks I still cannot burn a disc...It won't allow it. What a croc. Another hour goes by and I call them and get my money back and go to the desktop and download the Rhrapsody program the old fashioned way and I was burning a disc in a few minutes for 99 cents a song.
I don't know if windows 8 is a big hit or not but if I had my guess I think microsoft shot themselves in the foot.
I appreciate the help. It is hard to teach old dogs new tricks.

A few minor edits

Edited by woodrow896, 21 April 2014 - 10:41 AM.