Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

downloads no longer play immediately

• Please log in to reply

crazydiamond

crazydiamond

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Recently something changed. When I would go to a site to click on a file, it used to start playing in Windows Media Player instantly. (I am referring to videos).

Now when I click on a file, I get a pop up that ask "Would you like to open the file or save to your computer?"

The "Always ask before opening this type of file" is shaded and checked and I cannot change it.

I have been to the "view files" and everything seems to be ok.

When I click on "open file" I now have to wait for the file to download before viewing. Again, it used to start immediately.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open Windows Media Player, click tools, options, file types, click select all, click apply to make it the default player.

If you only want it to play certain file types by default, just tick those and click apply

If you recently installed another Media Player, it is likely to have set itself as the default

crazydiamond

crazydiamond

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Checked Windows Media Player and the settings were already set as you described.

Checked again folder options and view files etc. and they are ok.

I think it may have something to do with windows update, explorer, etc. but not sure.

I have done searches for couple of days and the only thing I am seeing so far is something to do with service pack 2 and maybe some registry problems. But, I am not sure this applys to me and I am getting confused trying to find a simple explanation for a goof like myself--LOL