Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade from XP to Win 7 on Dell Mini Inspiron 10

• Please log in to reply

amy0299

amy0299

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

I have a Dell Mini Inspiron 10 with XP installed. After I change my HD I cannot install Graphic accelerator. I've been trying and still no luck.

With Microsoft support for XP has stopped, I am thinking of upgrading this to Win 7.below is my memory specification. My question is, could upgrade solve graphic installation failure and is my system compatible / has enough memory for WIN 7.?

Thank you so much for all your help,

Available Memory
20.37 %
Page File Size
2,047.9MB
Available Page File
70.27 %
Virtual Memory
2,047.9MB
Available Virtual Memory
97.89 %
DIMM0
1,024.0MB

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi, most of these Dell Mini Inspiron 10 machines shipped with 1 GB of RAM and its not easy to increase this.

The processor (CPU) is also relatively weak and coupled with the low RAM, installing a 32 bit version of Windows 7 is unlikely to provide a reasonable level of performance.

Presumably you have run the Microsoft Win 7 Upgrader Adviser tool?
see here for details:
http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=20

Linux is worth considering, if you are not happy with the security implications of continuing to run Win XP, and has the advantage of being free...

Post back if you need further info
Regards
paws

amy0299

amy0299

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

I just run the win 7 upgrade advisory tool. I am thinking of using Linux as you've recommended.

Thank you so much for your answer and feedbacks.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

:thumbsup: