Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD when using VOIP software

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

After having earlier read the Avast blog here the following from the Lifehacker article made me chuckle;

Microsoft made these changes while claiming that other antivirus programs are "gaming the tests" and not focusing on real world threats. But, true or not, Microsoft's new approach means you're best off using a third-party tool in your arsenal, like our current favorite, Avast

Try your approach with reinstalling the original drivers if you like but save and install them as I suggested as you are less likely to get driver conflicts in Safe Mode.

Create a new restore point, uninstall the Realtek HD audio device by right clicking on it in the Device Manager, use CCleaner to make sure that any reference to Realtek HD audio is removed, restart in safe mode, reinstall your previously saved Realtek HD audio drivers, restart in normal mode and test.

Advertisements

mo713

mo713

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

In CCleaner, which section do I use to "make sure that any reference to Realtek HD audio is removed" ? How will I know that everything is clean such that I can start a new driver install?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Take the CCleaner user tour here

mo713

mo713

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

I may have just messed up, please help.

I am not familiar with drivermax, so I downloaded the latest stable version of the realtek drivers to have on hand (using drivermax). When the download finished, I thought I could find it in some folder, but it only appeared in the app itself. While trying to find the location, I started the install by accident and I was waiting for a yes or cancel button, but nothing came, just a blank progress screen until the install was COMPLETE. It said to reboot for the install to take effect. I have not rebooted yet bc I am still doing other stuff.

Since I had this install without having the chance to remove anything else, and without being in safe mode, did I further corrupt my system?

For the future, if drivermax requires you to be inside the program, how do you install something from safemode if dm needs to be open? Where does it store the downloads?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

No need to worry as DriverMax will check that all went well + ask you if you want to reverse the changes if you are unhappy.

You need to run DriverMax from your desktop, this allows the drivers that you selected to be kept ready for when you restart the computer, you then just open DriverMax and choose the install option as in the example below.

mo713

mo713

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

OK, I rebooted the pc in normal mode.... I noticed that AzMixerSel is still checked to run in startup, from the same location as before. I didn't trust this so I unchecked it and rebooted again, without AzMixer. I went to the new driver archive and looked at the folder. It appears that the new version of the driver does NOT contain AzMixer at all that I could see. Perhaps they found a way to eliminate it?

So anyway, with AzMixer not loaded, I opened Zoiper. A few test calls and NO BLUE SCREEN. Yeeeeowww! Even without azmixer, now the sound volume controls show the mic boost option, and the internal mic is recognized in sound recorder. While only 2-3 calls is not a conclusive test, It is farther than I ever got before, and without azmixer which was noted to cause the problems before, and still everything else appears to be not affected by its absence, I am very hopeful and encouraged that this is the correct solution.

So, bottom line is SUCCESS ! It worked!

Thank you phillpower2 !!!

Now, a couple of housekeeping items.

1. What should I clean, given my previous description of the steps I took? I have not done any cleaning except for removal of the startup check box for Azmixer (but the directory files are still there)

2. I removed the check box for drivermax at startup. Is that OK?

3. Re: MSE- Do I understand correctly that virus definitions will still be given updates for the near future even for XP? If so, then I can live with it for awhile. If not, then it won't do any good for anything new after today....

4. You mentioned delete Internet Explorer? I thought this could not be done? How about just don't open it and choose a different default browser?

5. You said turn off automatic updates? What if MS decides to send one periodically, or if other installed MS programs have their own updates? Would it hurt to leave it on Notify Only?

Thanks again !! :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Congratulations and a job well done on your behalf mo713  :thumbsup:

In answer to your questions;

1: If you have not done so already, create a new restore point with your new stable settings, leave the clean up of files for a couple of days until you are 100% happy that all is well and I will then provide some information to help you with spring cleaning unwanted files on the HDD.

2: Unchecking DriverMax was the correct thing to do, you do not need any more driver updates and allowing DriverMax to automatically scan for driver updates every time you boot up would slow down your boot times.

3: I personally would uninstall MSE and install Avast so as to remove any worries that you may have, download it direct from Avast and not via CNet or you will end up with unwanted foistware being installed, Avast direct here, again create a new restore point before making the change.

4: You should make Chrome/FF your default browser in your internet options, I havn`t used XP for so long now that it doesn`t come straight to mind but in Windows 8.1 you simply turn IE in Windows, can I come back to you on this when I get back in later.

5: Notify is better than Auto Update so yes as you do seem careful about what you download  :thumbsup:

Once again well done and you are welcome  :)

mo713

mo713

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

4. Many people talk about deleting MSIE, but the official word is that it cannot be fully "removed" from the OS altogether without breaking the OS. I don't think XP has any way of completely taking out all the IE code. In any case, I assume it is just as good to have another browser as the default and simply stop using IE to open web pages.

5. If there are no more updates to be sent by MS, then having it set to check for new updates won't hurt anything, correct? If there are updates, it will notify you and give you the choice to download (and those downloads might be useful), and if there are no updates, there is nothing to download nor worry about, correct?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

How to turn Internet Explorer off

As long as it is not Auto Update you are fine but don`t expect any further updates from MS as they are only providing them for paying customers such as the British and Swiss governments. 

micHarris180

micHarris180

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I always use this demo SIP softphone provided by this VoIP software. I've never been disappointed yet.

Advertisements