Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

leary of technical support [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Barry,

It has been 4 days since you last responded. Is everything ok?

Donna :)

Advertisements

barry1gingrich

barry1gingrich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Donna … Everything is fine, there are times when I cannot reply or perform the tasks directly. Thanks for your concern.

1. Downloaded the program “malwarebytes anti malware”
  2. Ran the program, it did not run as long as the other “full scan” (=over an hour), this was 12 minutes.
  3. No malicious malware detected was reported
  4. There were a bunch of PUPs reported and I deleted them all
  5. Here is the log

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

www.malwarebytes.org

Scan Date: 6/8/2014

Scan Time: 9:41:33 PM

Logfile:

Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.00.2.1012

Malware Database: v2014.06.09.01

Rootkit Database: v2014.06.02.01

License: Free

Malware Protection: Disabled

Malicious Website Protection: Disabled

Self-protection: Disabled

CPU: x64

File System: NTFS

User: Barry

Scan Type: Threat Scan

Result: Completed

Objects Scanned: 319581

Time Elapsed: 12 min, 37 sec

Memory: Enabled

Startup: Enabled

Filesystem: Enabled

Archives: Enabled

Rootkits: Enabled

Heuristics: Enabled

PUP: Enabled

PUM: Enabled

Processes: 0

(No malicious items detected)

Modules: 0

Registry Keys: 0

Registry Values: 0

Registry Data: 0

Folders: 0

Files: 0

Physical Sectors: 0

(end)

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Barry,

Everything is fine, there are times when I cannot reply or perform the tasks directly.

That certainly is comforting to know. I'll try not to be such a worry wart?

How is your computer behaving for you now?

I would like to ask you to do one more scan with ESET online scanner before we cleanup our tools. This scan could take quite a bit of time to finish and may appear to stall at times. That is normal. I'll not worry if I don't hear back from you right away. :)

ESET Online Scanner

Note: You can use either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox for this scan. You will however need to disable your current installed Anti-Virus, how to do so can be read here.
  • Please go >>HERE<< then click on: ESET1st.jpg

Note: If using Mozilla Firefox you will need to download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe when prompted then double click on the ESETexe.jpg icon to install.

All of the below instructions are compatible with either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox.
  • Select the option YES, I accept the Terms of Use then click on: ESETsave.jpg
  • When prompted allow the Add-On/Active X to install.
  • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is NOT checked, and the option Scan archives is checked.
  • Now click on Advanced Settings and select the following:
    • Scan for potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
  • Now click on: EOLS3.gif
  • The virus signature database... will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.
  • When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically.
  • Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan otherwise it may stall.
  • When completed make sure you first copy the logfile located at C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.
  • Now click on: EOLS4.gif
    (Selecting Uninstall application on close if you so wish)
Thank you,

barry1gingrich

barry1gingrich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Donna …

This morning I updated the malwarebytes “definitions” (I guess) and ran a scan on “C” and “D” drive.

Below is a snapshot of the results followed by the log …   I hope this is o.K. ???    I will run the Eset  scanner next and then Post another reply ... thanks …Barry

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

www.malwarebytes.org

Scan Date: 6/9/2014

Scan Time: 10:53:09 AM

Logfile:

Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.00.2.1012

Malware Database: v2014.06.09.04

Rootkit Database: v2014.06.02.01

License: Free

Malware Protection: Disabled

Malicious Website Protection: Disabled

Self-protection: Disabled

CPU: x64

File System: NTFS

User: Barry

Scan Type: Custom Scan

Result: Completed

Objects Scanned: 553925

Time Elapsed: 1 hr, 49 min, 54 sec

Memory: Enabled

Startup: Enabled

Filesystem: Enabled

Archives: Enabled

Rootkits: Enabled

Heuristics: Enabled

PUP: Enabled

PUM: Enabled

Processes: 0

Modules: 0

Registry Keys: 0

Registry Values: 0

Registry Data: 0

Folders: 0

Files: 0

Physical Sectors: 0

(end)

barry1gingrich

barry1gingrich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Donna ... I am drawing a blank.  I cannot recall what antivirus program i use.  I know I have the comodo firewall on my machine.  Might that be what I should disable? ... I'll continue to muddle through but if I have not posted anything after this one, then I have not muddled the whole way through and  will need more specific directions ... Barry

barry1gingrich

barry1gingrich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Donna ... I had thought that I was using Microsoft Essentials for my antivirus program, but we turned that off.  Do you have any suggestions on what antivirus program to use?

barry1gingrich

barry1gingrich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Donna ... I turned off the comodo firewall and tried to run ESET in an IE window (for Firefox it stated I needed an "plug in" so I thought the IE browser is the correct path).  I do not believe it ever started because this is what I received.  I will turn on the comodo firewall, and await you instructions on how to proceed and what to do about an antivirus program  ... Barry

barry1gingrich

barry1gingrich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

donna ...  what I could not include in the last post was the snipit of the forgot to include in the last post ESET Screen which was a blank screen entitled http://www.eset.com/...-scanner-popup/" ... Barry

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Barry,

Yes. Updating and scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-malware is fine. You should update and run that program at least once per week.

There were 2 Anti-virus programs installed when we started. One was Comodo Internet Security and the other was Microsoft Security Essentials. It is not advisable to install more than Anti-virus program, so we chose to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials.

The Anti-virus program that you are presently using is Comodo Internet Security.

The Comodo program that is installed is more than a firewall. The version of the program that you have installed includes an Anti-virus along with a firewall. There is no need to install another Anti-virus program.

You can use either IE or Firefox to run the ESET online scanner. If you do use Firefox, you will be asked to install the ESET Smart Installer. If you use IE, you will not be asked to install the ESET Smart Installer.

At this time, no need to install an Anti-virus since Comodo Internet Security is installed and go ahead and run ESET using the IE browser.

Anytime you have any questions at all, please do stop and ask me.

barry1gingrich

barry1gingrich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Donna ... Concerning ESET I tried t run it under firefox ... and it ran all by itself with my intervention after downloading it ... Here are the results

C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Program Files (x86)\optimizer pro\OptProCrash.dll.vir    a variant of Win32/SProtector.E potentially unwanted application
C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Program Files (x86)\optimizer pro\OptProCrashSvc.dll.vir    a variant of Win32/SProtector.F potentially unwanted application

... what next? I'm sorry I am not so good at following the directions ... Barry

Advertisements

barry1gingrich

barry1gingrich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Donna ... thanks for the clarification on Comodo ... that is reassuring ... I thought that perhaps I was not running any antivirus but only a firewall ... again thanks ... Barry

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

... what next? I'm sorry I am not so good at following the directions ... Barry

Barry? Don't underestimate yourself. Interacting online fixing computer issues are not an easy task and you are doing a great job. So give yourself a pat on the back.

The files that ESET found are in a folder that AdwCleaner created when it was installed for a place to send files bad files to. That will disappear when we uninstall AdwCleaner.

Next, all I need to know is how your computer is behaving. If there are no other problems, we can remove the tools. There are special ways to do that.

Let me get my next post ready to start removing the tools, while you tell me how your computer is doing. :)

barry1gingrich

barry1gingrich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Donna ... I think my computer is running fine. I am not sure if you can help or not, but one of my concerns is that the original technical support folks said they installed a "firewall" on my  WIFI or router.  I have not been able to determine how I cn view  anything on the AT&T wireless network box.  Any thoughts? ... Barry

barry1gingrich

barry1gingrich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Donna ... On the website, I see that you and I "follow" this topic.  I also see a huge number ">500" views/reviews, I forget the exact word. Can you explain what this means? ... Barry

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

I am not sure if you can help or not, but one of my concerns is that the original technical support folks said they installed a "firewall" on my WIFI or router.

There is a way to access the device to enable or disable the firewall. Were you given a manual from the provider when the service was installed? The information should be found in the manual somewhere.

I see that you and I "follow" this topic. I also see a huge number ">500" views/reviews, I forget the exact word. Can you explain what this means? ...

Yes. You and I are "subscribed" to this topic, meaning that anytime you or I post a reply to your topic, the other person will get an email reply notification. The 500 views? Everytime that someone (you, I or anybody else) looks at this topic it will add another view to the count. We've been at this topic for some time now and I have back tracked to previous pages to double check logs, etc. which adds to the count as well.

Barry, I've decide that we are going to uninstall the tools in steps. Should make it a bit easier.

1st Step:

Double-click on the AdwCleaner.exe icon to run the tool again.
  • Click on the Uninstall button as shown below:
    adwcleaneruninstall.png
  • Click Yes when asked are you sure you want to uninstall.
  • Both AdwCleaner.exe, its folder and all logs will be removed.
2nd Step:

OTL Clean-Up

Right click on the OTLicon.jpg icon on your desktop and choose Run as administrator to open the main window.

Next click on the CleanUpButtonOTL.jpg button.

Once clean up is complete you will be prompted to reboot your computer. Please do so.

This will remove most of the programs we have used including itself.

3rd Step:

On the desktop right click and choose Delete for the following programs/setup files, if found:

AdwCleaner.exe
JRT
esetsmartinstaller_enu (ESET)

4th Step:

Go to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features and uninstall the following, if found:
ESET online scanner

5th Step:

Follow the path below and delete the folder(s), if found:
C:\AdwCleaner
C:\_OTL -> May be found in Downloads folder
C:\Program Files (x86)\ESET

If there are any left over tools or logs on your computer please delete them now.

Let me know when you are done, or if you have any questions, then we will continue.

:)