Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows installer problems

• Please log in to reply

UriB

UriB

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Recently I upgraded my computer with an SSD for my boot drive. I reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits and attempted to install all my programs. I encountered an installation problem in couple of my programs when I tried to install them, and the same problem with another program that did install but could not be updated. The error message is as attached . Any ideas what I can do, short of starting the whole format, OS and application installation from scratch, yet again?

Attached Thumbnails

• LoJack Error 2.jpg

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

What program and how are you installing it?

UriB

UriB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
So far I have problems with 2 applications: 1. Sensiblevision's FastAccess 2. Absolute software's LoJack For the first one, I just runt the downloaded executable For the second one, I receive a balloon message (It resides in the notification tray) that there is an available update and I just click on install

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Try downloading Sensiblevision's FastAccess to a specific area on the hard drive, like Downloads under your account name in C:\Users.

Right click on it and select Run as Administrator, see if that helps.

For LoJack, completely uninstall it then follow the same steps as above, see if that helps.

UriB

UriB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I tried that. No difference. Now I uncovered more problems. I tried to install FutureMark PCMark8. It bombed out in the middle with a plain vanilla error message that gave no info. When I tried to uninstall this unsuccessful installation, I got the same [bleep] Windows Installer error message. The common denominator I see is a problem with the Windows Installer. But what can I do about that?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

I tried that. No difference. Now I uncovered more problems. I tried to install FutureMark PCMark8. It bombed out in the middle with a plain vanilla error message that gave no info. When I tried to uninstall this unsuccessful installation, I got the same [bleep] Windows Installer error message. The common denominator I see is a problem with the Windows Installer. But what can I do about that?

Let's try something simple first, it might be totally unrelated, but if it doesn't work, there's a fix you can run to fix the Windows Installer (Windows MSI).
Open an elevated command prompt by right-clicking on the command prompt and select Run As Admin. Then, enter the following command :

sfc /scannow
Let the scan run till 100%, and tell me what message is returned after.

UriB

UriB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
The result was: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Try Windows Repair (All In One).

Best to go through all the steps, one at a time. Once you get to the Start Repairs screen, click Unselect All, then select Repair MSI (Windows Installer) then click Start.

Reboot when done, see if that helped.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Try Windows Repair (All In One).

Best to go through all the steps, one at a time. Once you get to the Start Repairs screen, click Unselect All, then select Repair MSI (Windows Installer) then click Start.

Reboot when done, see if that helped.

Haha this is exactly the next solution I was about to recommend ! :P

UriB

UriB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Interesting piece of software. Thank you for telling me about it. Certainly a keeper.
But...
It did not help :(

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

About all I can suggest now is to start over with a Clean Install, using a ISO from heidoc.net (MS official release site) to create a new install DVD or flash drive.

How to Do a Clean Installation with Windows 7

How to Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version

sofeyamiller

sofeyamiller

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello!

can you tell me how to installing windows did you format or deleteing or directly install in old windows  partition in the installation process

Edited by sofeyamiller, 24 July 2014 - 12:41 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Back up your data and do a Clean Install (links I posted) formatting during the install.