Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Webcam and Touch screen stopped working

• Please log in to reply

abone114

abone114

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

I'm running a refurbished Acer Aspire M-481-PT, Windows 8.1 and I just discovered while trying to make a Skype video call that my webcam is not being recognized. It was working just fine the last time I was on Skype about a week or so ago. I went into my device manager to try to uninstall the drivers and the webcam is completely missing from the list. How do I get this to show up again? I checked on the Acer website for drivers and there aren't any for the webcam. I searched around and couldn't find a similar topic for webcams on this forum but I did a google search and tried some of the recommendations I found to no avail. 

The touchscreen has also stopped working and I don't even know where to begin trying to trouble shoot it. Any suggestions? Big thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Try doing a System Restore to last week when it/they were working????

abone114

abone114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Okay, so I tried the System Restore and I got this error after it completed and my system restarted:

6iNqNWI.jpg

I followed the instructions and disabled the antivirus software and I keep getting the same error. 

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Try this tool: DriveCleanup by Uwe Sieber, about half way down the page.

DriveCleanup removes all currently non present "Storage Volumes", "Disk", "CDROM", "Floppy" USB drives and their USB devices from the device tree. Furthermore it removes orphaned registry items related to these device types. Since V0.8 it removes WPD devices under Vista and Win7.
Started with parameter -T (like test) it shows which devices it would remove.

Backup the registry first. ERUNT is a good choice for this.