Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Patriot 32 gb micro drive detected but files not accessible in XP

• Please log in to reply

khazarian

khazarian

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

I really wish I could have this problem cleared up. This micro card has been the storage card in my blackberry smartphone for a few years. I can copy and delete files on it in the phone but when I try to access those files in XP, it says "no disk in drive". This is all pretty much recent stuff. There is no write protect feature on the drive.  I can open the files on other systems with a card reader, so it has to be something wrong in the windows drivers cache or registry entry.

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

Edited by khazarian, 08 August 2014 - 12:24 PM.

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

Try this! Go into Computer Management-Disk Management! Right click on the devise and assign it a Drive letter.

This should allow you access to your files!

doneato!

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

My fault I failed to provide you with the complete picture. I can open the micro drive through the Blackberry desktop manager console. Windows assigns it with a drive letter. N:Blackerry. When I dbl click the drive, it opens to display all my files for about 30-45 seconds, then closes with the message of No disk in Drive. Please insert a disk into the drive: TRY AGAIN; CANCEL; CONTINUE. I pulled out the drive and stuck it into my sdhc usb card reader.  It was assigned a drive letter H: but no media. What do you make of this? Can't be a faulty windows driver, can it?

Attached Thumbnails

• REMH.JPG

Edited by khazarian, 08 August 2014 - 01:55 PM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! Sorry I don't know! Can you assign it a different Drive letter and see what happens.

I'm really not into Blackberry. You say it shows up in Windows Explorer,then disappears.

That's weird!

I see you have yellow marks in devise manager(other devises)???/

What do you see when you right click on the drive in Disk Management?

Sorry I'm out of my league on this one :headscratch:

I noticed a different file system on one of your drives in Disk Management(CDFS)????

I found this about CDFS files??

http://www.computerh...rgon/c/cdfs.htm

Edited by donetao, 08 August 2014 - 02:15 PM.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

It's a Patriot 16 gb micro drive in FAT32. Here's a picture of diskmgmt I captured a few minutes ago. Previously, explorer was displaying it as a floppy drve H:.  As you can notice, everything is kosher again and I didn't do anything differently. Wow! I'm stumped. Does it indicate the drive is preparing to self-destruct or something similar? 

Attached Thumbnails

• BBB.JPG

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
Does it indicate the drive is preparing to self-destruct or something similar?

It indicates to me that computers are weird creatures with minds of there own some times :laughing: :smashcomp:

i don't have a clue. I have stopped guessing why my PC does strange things. :oops:

doneato

PS Glad you got it figured out for now any way!

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

How do I discover what those yellow exclam marks refer to in device manager? One refers to the audio driver but I am using a proprietary audio card so I don't the built in one.  fsss

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

How do I discover what those yellow exclam marks refer to in device manager? One refers to the audio driver but I am using a proprietary audio card so I don't the built in one.  fsss

What happens if you right click on them?? Try uninstalling them, then restart your computer.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Ok, I'll try the uninstall reinstall routine. A right click simply produces 'driver for this device not installed'. Doesn't identify the device.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

What do you see if you in devise manager under details-ID?

Click on detail and then Hardware ID in the drop down list!

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture48.JPG

Edited by donetao, 10 August 2014 - 02:35 PM.

Advertisements

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

What's showing in Details from Devmgmt.msc. The second entry is MP/0005. Third entry is MP/0007. I have no clue what these could be. Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails

• YQM.JPG

Edited by khazarian, 10 August 2014 - 07:57 PM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

Can you get a Hardware lds description? Maybe a Devise Description in the drop down. You can find out a lot if you just keep clicking on the drop down!

Please post your computer make and model so we can find the drivers!

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture48.JPG
  • Capture48.JPG

Edited by donetao, 10 August 2014 - 08:32 PM.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

I uninstalled the three devices with question marks and rebooted. They have now disappeared. Processor is Intel i5 quad core. MOBO is EVGA P55 (Intel). Memory module is G SKILL RipJaws DIMM CL 9-9-9-24; 1.5v.; 4 gb. XP Pro installed on 120gb Corsair SATA SSD with Seagate 500gb secondary HDD. Dual AMD XFX 6870(Black Edition bios) graphics cards. Corsair HX 850W Professional Series PSU.

Attached Thumbnails

• YQQ.JPG
  • YQY.JPG
  • SFAN.JPG

Edited by khazarian, 10 August 2014 - 11:19 PM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

?????

This is all I could come up with on your MB?????

Is this a customized build??

http://www.evga.com/support/download/

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

I built it myself from scratch. Filled a stripped out tower with all new components. Do you want me to run HWMonitor and show you the specs?

I've installed the newest mobo bios and Intel chipset. I don't know what else it might need.

Edited by khazarian, 10 August 2014 - 11:02 PM.