Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupt file?

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

Remove Microsoft Security Essentials and install Avast free instead it seems MSE is generating some errors and also Bonjour from Apple. I suppose to fix this one you need to uninstall and reinstall everything from apple...

Advertisements

blue_mike

blue_mike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Okay sleepy, I have followed all your instructions.  The only thing that I will not keep due in to fact that I do not trust it as much is Avast.  I have used Microsoft Security Essentials for years and never had a problem.  Avast also tries to install back door programs if you are not careful when  you install it, which leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  Blue Line still has the same error, so I am curious as to what you think at this point.  I have backed up all my folders, and I am  wondering if we should just do a repair install, what do you think.?  I greatly appreciate all your help so far.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Okay sleepy, I have followed all your instructions.  The only thing that I will not keep due in to fact that I do not trust it as much is Avast.  I have used Microsoft Security Essentials for years and never had a problem.  Avast also tries to install back door programs if you are not careful when  you install it, which leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  Blue Line still has the same error, so I am curious as to what you think at this point.  I have backed up all my folders, and I am  wondering if we should just do a repair install, what do you think.?  I greatly appreciate all your help so far.

Where did you get the wrong idea that Avast installs a back door? If you check the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal section you will see that is one of the most recommended AV's.

With Microsoft Security Essentials you will only get an update for day unless you restart the computer or force to update also I recommend you to search for Microsoft Security Essentials in GeekU...

The event viewer show some strange errors, if the system is clean from malware then you should consider a repair install.

blue_mike

blue_mike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

I really messed up the way I explained that.  What I should of said is that I do not like how they try to get you to install Google tools bars and so on and so forth.  My apologies.  I will try it out and see what happens.  Are you able to walk me through a repair install?  I am not really sure about all the errors in the event viewer, so I am not sure what you are seeing.

blue_mike

blue_mike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

I also forgot that I see something about combofix on my pc, which should not be there.  I guess we will have to try to get rid of that as well!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

I really messed up the way I explained that.  What I should of said is that I do not like how they try to get you to install Google tools bars and so on and so forth.  My apologies.  I will try it out and see what happens.  Are you able to walk me through a repair install?  I am not really sure about all the errors in the event viewer, so I am not sure what you are seeing.

It's the price to pay with free software. One of the reasons to always do a Custom Install.

They now suggest the installation of Google Chrome it's nothing bad and you can opt-out easily.

There is a very good guide about the repair install here.

The errors on the System errors section are strange...

blue_mike

blue_mike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

I read that guide, I am confused about this part.  How do I know which partition to save it to?

Using the program (ex: 7-Zip) from step 1, extract the Windows 7 SP1 ISO file to a folder on a partition or HDD other than the current Windows 7 partition. (see screenshot below)

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

I read that guide, I am confused about this part.  How do I know which partition to save it to?

Using the program (ex: 7-Zip) from step 1, extract the Windows 7 SP1 ISO file to a folder on a partition or HDD other than the current Windows 7 partition. (see screenshot below)

If you have only one drive (C:) burn the ISO to a DVD using the "image burn option" and not by transferring the iso file to the DVD or extract the ISO to a flash drive.

blue_mike

blue_mike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Ok I see the setup exe but I do not see the Iso file.  My copy of windows says it includes service pack 1

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Ok I see the setup exe but I do not see the Iso file.  My copy of windows says it includes service pack 1

But do you have Windows 7 already on a DVD or on a ISO file in your computer?

Advertisements

blue_mike

blue_mike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

I have the windows 7 already on the orginal DVD, so I can run the repair right off of the disk.  Sorry about the confusion it has been one of those days!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

I have the windows 7 already on the orginal DVD, so I can run the repair right off of the disk.  Sorry about the confusion it has been one of those days!

I'm glad you sorted out.

blue_mike

blue_mike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

I can barely use the PC now, it just finished the repair process.  I am now getting .net framework is repairing itself, and then some other digital errors.  I have a black background on the desktop.  The computer is so slow and will barely run.  I guess at this point I am going to have to wipe the whole system.  As I am typing it is shutting down more programs saying they are not working.

blue_mike

blue_mike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Ok update I did a complete reinstall of the operating system.  There was no saving it after doing the repair install, the whole system just kept crashing.  I now need to figure out what drivers I need to update from Asus, and Amd.  I know there is a bios update, but I have read where many folks say if it is not broke do not fix it, so what is your opinion?  Last but not least I am getting an error in the event viewer which I will will post, and I also have one update that failed to download!  Thank you thus far for all your patience, I appreciate it more then you know.  I think there may be a few dents in the computer desk from my head lol!

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-WMI
Date:          9/12/2014 12:19:45 AM
Event ID:      10
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Mike-PC
Description:
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.micro.../events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WMI" Guid="{1edeee53-0afe-4609-b846-d8c0b2075b1f}" EventSourceName="WinMgmt" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">10</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-09-12T04:19:45.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>875</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Mike-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>//./root/CIMV2</Data>
    <Data>SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage &gt; 99</Data>
    <Data>0x80041003</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

I can barely use the PC now, it just finished the repair process.  I am now getting .net framework is repairing itself, and then some other digital errors.  I have a black background on the desktop.  The computer is so slow and will barely run.  I guess at this point I am going to have to wipe the whole system.  As I am typing it is shutting down more programs saying they are not working.

The slow down could be normal until the system adjust itself. After the repair install some programs could need a repair and it's important to install Internet Explorer using the same version you had before because the reinstall reverts to the default version, IE 7 if I'm not mistaken.