Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer is crashing,slow and full of nasties

• Please log in to reply

westside

westside

• Pip
  • 3 posts
;)

Please, please ,please can you offer me some advise.... Hopefully I've got the right subject. I'm a bit simple when it comes to computers.......So I thought You fab people could help.

My computer is quite ill....I have a compaq windows 98 computer.... My computer is very very slow to start up, this has happened over the last year and found out that as my anti virus software ran out..... I was using the internet unprotected. This caused lots of problems, pop ups etc.... as a result I was advised to download Ad aware...... I ran a full scan check and it says detected 588 critical objects after about 45 mins...when I press ok....it shows deleting bar...then ..... nothing else happens... Crashs when I try and do anything to it.

Even the desktop is infected.... the lay out looks funny and have noticed that
unsavoury icons have popped up and cannot remove them. It crashes all the time also. Noticed aswell that when dialling out I hear no sound anymore...and the icons don't seem to work. I checked my phone bill and all of a sudden the number and price to use the internet has changed.....

Could you suggesst a good anti virus program or firewall?

:tazz: Its all a mess ... I think I could have hackers and lots of spy ware ;)

Please can you advise me on what to do..... How can I get my computer back to its original factory settings and make it better again?

Many Thanks......

Advertisements