Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange PC Performance [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Hello Michael,

Now, when I click "System Properties", nothing happens; no window pops up.

You ran System file checker earlier (my instruction at post # 10) now that's been done try right clicking on " Computer" and choose "Properties".

Can you get to "Advanced system settings" now?

Google Chrome begins to act slow with only four tabs open (pages will freeze)

Try resetting Chrome and see if that makes a difference.

Go to the link below and follow the instructions on how to reset Google Chrome browser settings:

https://support.goog...r/3296214?hl=en

When I try to go CTRL+ALT+DEL to see which processes are hogging up memory

Right click on the task bar and click on Start task manager. Check out the tabs to find the information you want.

When I click my HP Support Assistant (it says important action is needed), the PC looks like it's thinking, but won't open it.

Maybe your HP Support Assistant needs updating.

The latest installer for HP Support Assistant can be downloaded from the page on the link below.   

http://h18021.www1.h...port/HPSA.html  

Try the foregoing actions and tell me if they make a difference. :)

Advertisements

ital_mike92

ital_mike92

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hey emeraldnzl,

For the system protection part, I can open it now. When I go to delete the restore files on the C drive, it appears to delete them, but the following message window pops up:

Could not apply the settings for the following reason:

The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. (0x8007007B)

I can use CTRL+ALT+DEL at the moment and I no longer get that black screen I referred to in post #9.

As for Google Chrome, I did the reset. Things appear to be working fine at the moment.

And for the HP Assistant, I was able to update it.

Things look good at the moment. I'll monitor this computer and if the issues return, I'll bring it up. Thanks for all of your help and for getting back to me quickly.

Cheers,

Michael

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Looks like we are making progress. :)

I will keep this topic open for a day or two to give you time to check things out.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.