Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overwriting Centos6

• Please log in to reply

Krratos

Krratos

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am ditching my old windows computer for Linux. I am a newbie and know little about it.
A friend set up my new computer with Linux (at my request). He chose Centos 6 as he works with it. After a bit of research. ( In windows), I now think I would be happier with something like Mint or Ubuntu. If I install Mint on top of Centos will it overwrite the files I have already downloaded?

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

it would totally depend on how you partitioned your hard drive when you installed centos 6.

if you have a separate home and root partitions then when it comes time to installing mint, you need to make sure you do not format that home partition to keep all your files.

mount it as home again in the partitioner when installing mint to the centos 6 root partition.

personally i'd tell you to backup all your data first anyway, so if you make a mistake and mess up the install of mint and do overwrite all your wanted files, you can just move them back to the installed mint os from that backup.

:popcorn:

Krratos

Krratos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thank you Terry,  I know what to look for now.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

:thumbsup:

:popcorn: