Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help Command Propt does not work

• Please log in to reply

Aviator_Vence

Aviator_Vence

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi, my command prompt is not working, can someone help me fix this. i have a feeling a line of code is missing but i cant find it.

the error i keep getting is "ipconfig not reconized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file"

i am running windows Vista Basic thx

Advertisements

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi and :welcome:

Are you actually getting the command prompt window to open?

If so did you do so as administrator?

To do so you must first,

Click "Start", then type in the search programs and files box:-

cmd.exe

You will then see the icon (Small black square) and cmd.exe at the top of the list, you must right click on that line and in the dialogue box that opens click on "Run as Administrator" you may get the security window asking if you want to allow the program etc, just click yes. If the DOS like Administrator cmd black window appears, try typing the ipconfig and click the enter key.

Let us know if that gets you there.

Nev.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Could also be that the path environment variable is messed up. At a minimum it should be set to:

C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;

From the elevated Command Prompt Nev described, enter path.

What does it show?