Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with choosing a gaming laptop

• Please log in to reply

Ca$ino

Ca$ino

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

I been thinking about getting a gaming laptop (no room to set up a desktop rig) but I don't know exactly how much power and what combinations to get. Most of my searches have narrowed it down to an MSI or ASUS set up.

My main question is, should i look for an i7 4700 series chip with a 900 series nvidia gpu with about 3gb

or

i7 4800 chip with an 800 series gpu with 3 - 6gb

also, most of my searches have been with 12 or 16 gb of ram but is that overkill? I dont do any video editing or that type of stuff. just want to use it for gaming and other everyday uses like internet and video streaming.

I am also open to any other suggestions beyond what I listed here. I want to keep it around $1500.

TIA

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts

go with the better video card.  It makes a lot of difference, much more so than the slight difference between the cpu.  In other words, go with the 900 series.

Ca$ino

Ca$ino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

I think I narrowed it down to these two

MSI

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834152666

ASUS

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834232202

Im leaning towards the asus because it has 16gb memory. The MSI has that steel series keyboard though which intrigues me.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts

all I can say is it comes down to personal preference.  I would choose the msi.  Reviews are excellent. From a friend that I trust, gives msi a recommendation.  He takes it with him when he travels and it has run well, handled the travel well (build quality is excellent), and has not complaints.