Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dismal down and up

• Please log in to reply

mowpar

mowpar

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I have depressing Internet down and up loading speeds. I am paying 50 bucks a month. My carrier is Frontier. Last night to watch a movie on my smart tv through its own app install Netflix, that I have to pay for also, it must have buffered more than 20 and maybe as high as 30 times.

Normally with what is available, it would not have bothered me that much. But this was a good movie that was ruined by the experience.

When I called to complain, tech said I could spend more money and get a higher speed internet.
After complaining that I was paying 50 a month for the crap I was getting now, and threatened to find another service, he relented and said that he would move things around on my account in some way that would seem that I was taking advantage of there special offers. In short, he said he would send a tech out with a new modem, and add in another hardline to my house, and I could expect to get double and maybe triple the Internet speed, at no extra cost a month, but a one time activation fee.

My speed now is pretty low, if my speed tripled I would almost get 9 Mbps. When I ran a speed test, download speed was 2.84 Mbps and upload speed was 0.74. Reading within the test site, it said that the average speed across the states was 20 Mpbs.

My question would be after all this, is, is there anything I can do here at the house to help these numbers to elevate. Also I am wondering maybe if the router set up I have may be draining my internet speed. At present I have the modem from Frontier, and I also have in series with that, a belkin router.
Is there some software or hardware I can buy that would boost the speed?

Thanks for letting me bend your ear again. And thanks.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

What speed are you paying for.

Go to speedtest.net and see what it shows for upload and download performance.

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I could not get that information to come out of his mouth, he seemed to elude to the fact that since so many people were using there service that with each additional customer, my speed expectancy would drop.
In this area, there is one provider ( Internet ) with no option of anything else.

I guess I am just SOL, 'cause I am not going to cough up more money, 50 dollars a month plus bundled with my phone at 39 dollars a month, when the average nation wide is 20 and i am paying 50 for less than 3 I cannot imagine what the average monthly bill would be.

I ran the speed test and listed these speeds in the first initial post.

Edited by mowpar, 08 January 2015 - 04:52 PM.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, if I can add a bit as Ztruker is off line at the moment, do you no longer have the original paperwork from when you first started the internet service? It may tell you on it what download speeds you should get and are paying for.

Regrettably, all too many ISP's are throttling back their service rather than upgrade their equipment to handle heavier traffic, they are quick enough to take your money when you sign on, but not too quick at keeping their service up to a decent standard, especially where they have a monopoly as it seems where you are, and in that situation.

I don't know where you are, however on a different forum I have recently had to try and help a member with similar problems and cannot do so as he is in the Philippines, and again with only one ISP.

Nev.

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I am not in the Philippines. I am some where more remote than that. The hills of WV. And yes one carrier. It has been ages since signing up for the service that paperwork cannot be found. I am going to wait till after service tech comes an goes to see what happens, before stirring anything up with them.
thanks for your help and input/