Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 help....acting wonky (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Tj33bird

Tj33bird

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a laptop that I bought unknowingly with a hacked copy of windows 7 professional. I believe the laptop originally shipped with vista. Anyway it worked fine for a while but recently displayed the following when I turned it on and logged on: Windows\System32\Conf\System File access denied...desktop was bare and it would not allow me to do any administrative task despite that the account is an administrator account. Tried restarting to last known good configuration and it didn't work. Also I'm fairly sure it isn't my hard drive either

Edited by Tj33bird, 01 February 2015 - 05:04 PM.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi Tj :)

Sadly, we cannot provide assistance here on GeeksToGo if you are using a pirated copy of Windows. It's clearly stated in the GeeksToGo Term of Use.

The posting of links or references to warez or any other type of illegal software is strictly forbidden. By doing so you risk having your user account terminated without warning. We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software or services illegally.

Source: http://www.geekstogo...tion=boardrules

We can help you reinstall a brand new, legitimate, version of Windows (Vista or 7) if you wish, but we won't assist you with the current issue on your illegal copy, sorry.

Tj33bird

Tj33bird

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
That's fine...was planning on buying and installing windows 8 anyway. I did not put the illegal version on the computer, I bought it without knowing the windows version was not genuine. Just been trying to make it work until I can but a genuine copy.......sorry for not thoroughly reading the terms of use

Edited by Tj33bird, 04 February 2015 - 11:55 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:    Tj33bird,

Thank you for understanding and abiding by the GTG TOU  :thumbsup:

Asides from what Aura has advised, with cracked software comes the risk of malware infection some of which can be so deep rooted that not even a full format will eradicate it, with this in mind I would advise that once you have a legitimate OS installed you then get the all clear of malware initially by using the self help guide here then if necessary by the experts on the Malware Removal Forums if needs be.

Tj33bird

Tj33bird

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the advise. Will do exactly that. Needless to say I was irked when I purchased the laptop to find the windows version was not legit. Lesson learned lol.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not a problem, thread will be marked as resolved if ok with you, if you require any assistance with installing a legitimate OS let us know  :thumbsup: