Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

high disk usage - norton warning of svchost.exe [Closed]

high cpu usage svchost.exe

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

migueldajer

migueldajer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

tried what you indicated above, after clicking O on step 5 the msconfig program goes into endless "not responding" mode.  regardless of how long I wait it is stuck.  I used process manager to shut it down, somehow I cannot get through the last step.

Advertisements

migueldajer

migueldajer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

one more piece of info...after I end the task and i try to restart msconfig the system does not launch the application.  I had to reboot.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

No problem. We'll figure it out. Did you install Service Pack one as suggested in Post#10 ?

If you didn't I would suggest that you uninstall Norton Internet Security, then install the Service Pack and then you can install Norton again. Just make sure before you uninstall it that you have your registration key, etc. so that you can re-install without an issue.

Let me know. Thanks.

migueldajer

migueldajer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

i downloaded the service pack and installed it but norton was on.  i will follow this recommendation and try again just in case.  Please be aware that I will be traveling until mid next week, please keep post open.  thank you

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

If you already successfully installed the service pack then all you need to do at this point is uninstall and then re-install Norton. If you were thinking of installing a free alternative Antivirus instead of Norton following are two recommendations. Let me know what you decide and we can continue.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials on my Windows 7 home machines but the choice is yours.

Microsoft Security Essentials
Avast! (If you decide on this one, please ensure you uncheck the Google Toolbar and Google Chrome that is offered on the first screen of the install...unless you want them for some reason). In addition if you choose Avast!, please ensure that Windows Defender is disabled. Instructions for doing so are here.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Just checking in as it's been awhile. Do you still need assistance?

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.