Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newly formatted Optiplex 780 with Windows 7 Pro has slow, jerky video

• Please log in to reply

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

How can I allocate 2 gb to the gpu

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I don't believe a 32-bit setup (which OP has) will support more than 4GB of RAM (without having to install some type of goofy software that could cause more problems).
Not sure if iammykyl overlooked that, or if he knows something I don't.  :whistling:
I would advise taking any advice he may have over my own, though.  :lol:

:oops:  :blush:  completely missed that, my appoligies.   Good to see someone is watching my back :spoton: 

Allocating memory.

Well it is not in the BIOS under video controller, all I could find.

This field determines which video controller will become the primary video controller when 2 controllers are available in the system. This selection matters only if there are 2 video controller present.

Auto(default) - Use the add-in video controller.

Onboard/Card - Use the integrated video controller unless a Graphic care is installed. A PCI Express Graphic(PEG) card will override and disable the integrated video controller.

Perhaps it can be configured via software.

Where the information is, in the GuideBook, page #23.

Also just spotted, further down, a list of GPUs available at the time of publishing. 

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I think I am going to just order another 4gb ram stick to add.  Hopefully that will fix it...Do you agree?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
If you order additional RAM and that the total size goes over 4GB, you'll have to install a 64-bits version of Windows 7 to use all of it. You cannot "upgrade" from 32-bits to 64-bits, it'll have to be a clean installation.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

gday.

adding more RAM is not really useful as you have the Windows 32 bit version.   Links below for some video cards to consider, but first try running the advanced system diagnostic tool to see if any issues are present,  > http://www.dell.com/...0/configuration

I would try this one first,http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130586

Listed from the GuideBook, > http://www.amazon.co...9/dp/B0065FOXL6

http://www.amazon.co...2_t2_B00FS6ABEG

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I ran the diagnostic tool and it found no problems.  We have decided to update the os to 64 bit and then add memory.  I will report back when completed.

Thanks again

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

geno368,

I don't think you should purchase a 64-bit OS.  Your processor (the hardware) is only 32-bit, as well.  You must have a CPU that is compatible with 64-bit in order to install a 64-bit OS on it.  A 64-bit processor will run a 32-bit OS (backwards compatible), but not the other way around, sorry.

Again, my suggestion is to just add the cheapest video card you can find (online, in a store, from another machine, out of a dumpster, etc) that is compatible with your motherboard.

Edit: iammykyl linked to multiple video cards (that are almost as cheap as the dumpster) a few posts above... check out his links

Edited by Fusionbomb, 27 February 2015 - 01:35 PM.