Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc starts but no beep is heard and no bios image on screen (Resolved)

Best Answer johnny15 , 06 April 2015 - 01:57 PM

He finally understood that his computer needed some upgrade ... Done! everything is fine! after some discussion with the customer we decided for a new motherboad cpu and ram , 200 E and the compute... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

johnny15

johnny15

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Hello Everyone!
I 've got the following problem, found  a similar one in google but I'm confused and wanted to ask you some questions wink.gif .

One of my customers brought me his computer, it starts, the fans are working but i see nothing on screen and i got no beep sound.
Here are the things I tried:
A) Changed the graphics card with another one, nothing happened, placed the card on my computer and it is working fine.
B)Tried to boot the pc with one ram at the time still nothing happened ( checked all slots)
C) Used the ram from my pc still nothing
D)Changed the psu installed it on my pc works fine, Installed my psu on that computer nothing happened again
E)Booted the pc only with cpu and an ethernet card still nothing happened (not even a beep)
F)Hold the power button for 1 min
G)Reset the motherboard battery
H) Installed the HDD on my pc and heard strange sound like a click ( i guess it's dead)

Something strange is that when i press the button to shutdown the pc, nothing happens i've got to remove the cable to shut it down.
I forgot to mention that we got a bad Electrical grid here with many black outs
I dont' know how to check the cpu,and thinking that the problem is the motherboard
What do you say?

Pc Specs are
PSU seasonic 400W
HDD Seagate Baracuda 500Gb
GPU PowerColor AX3650 512MD2 Radeon HD 3650 512MB
Motherboard ASUS M3A
RAM 2x Kingston KVR800D2N6/2G
Windows unknown
CPU Is amd but i don't know the specific model just saw something like am2 socket on the mainboard.

Thanks for your time and sorry for the length of my post

John wink.gif

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,790 posts

Apologies for the delay in you receiving a reply to your OP johnny15  :(

I will break down your OP information to highlight a couple of things;

E)Booted the pc only with cpu and an ethernet card still nothing happened (not even a beep)

Took a look at the MBs user manual and a Newegg link but did not see any onboard speaker, this would explain the lack of any BIOS error beeps unless you have fitted a speaker for testing purposes, see example in attachment below;

H) Installed the HDD on my pc and heard strange sound like a click ( i guess it's dead)

A bad HDD would not prevent you from getting a BIOS screen, you would get an onscreen message such as "no boot device found".

Something strange is that when i press the button to shutdown the pc, nothing happens i've got to remove the cable to shut it down.

Two possible causes are a failed case switch and a shorted out MB.

I dont' know how to check the cpu,and thinking that the problem is the motherboard

Out of the two a MB has a higher failure rate than a CPU, you have also said that all fans are working which means that the CPU is less likely to have been fried, unless the owner has done a bad OC.

Couple of questions, have you asked if the owner overclocks the computer and have you checked the caps on the MB for having blown or leaked, some helpful tips to help check here

At the very least I suspect that you will need to remove the MB from the case and do a barebones set up, a closer inspection of the MB (including underneath) and check out the case switches.

johnny15

johnny15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Very detailed answer thanks for taking your time with my problem,

A) I've never heard that beep sound from that computer but the owner says he did sometimes, before his pc crashed.

B)I asked the owner and he didn't even know the meaning of overclocking  ;)

C)I will check the capacitors, never knew that this could happen

D) In case the motherboad is dead do you have something to suggest? the CPU is this one
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103644

and I am thinking of buying this motherboard

http://www.ebay.com/...=item19f6c913b8

btw when i swaped the PSU i replaced it with a 230W one do you think it might not be enough to boot the system?

thanks again for your time

John

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,790 posts
A) I've never heard that beep sound from that computer but the owner says he did sometimes, before his pc crashed.

Odd answer from the owner, if there is an internal speaker they would hear a single beep every time that the computer had passed the power on self test (POST)

No O/Cing details acknowledged.

C)I will check the capacitors, never knew that this could happen

While you check the caps see if there is an onboard speaker like that in the example below.

D) In case the motherboad is dead do you have something to suggest? the CPU is this one

Hold off with purchasing atm as there is no certainty that the MB or CPU etc are bad.

btw when i swaped the PSU i replaced it with a 230W one do you think it might not be enough to boot the system?

The PowerColor AX3650 512MD2 Radeon HD 3650 512MB requires a PSU with a minimum output of 300W and 22 amps on the +12V (source) so it is entirely possible that the 230W PSU was not powerful enough, an underpowered PSU will sometimes provide just enough juice to get a display of some sort (BIOS screen for example) but you will only be sure if you test the system with an adequate power supply hooked up.

You are welcome btw  :)

johnny15

johnny15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Unfortunately i couldn't found a speaker..

The capacitors seemed fine a little bit bent but fine..

I found this btw

http://s22.postimg.o.../Speakers_2.jpg

Edited by johnny15, 25 March 2015 - 05:31 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,790 posts

(A) Not sure  what that is but is not a speaker.

(B) That is where an add on speaker such as the example that I provided in my reply #2 would go, the example in my reply #4 comes pre soldered to the MB and cannot be removed by simply unplugging it, if the MB has never had either kind of speaker the owner has never heard a POST beep from the MB.

johnny15

johnny15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

After speaking with the customer he decided to change the motherboard with a new one!

that means new ram and new cpu and everything is going to be fine! i hope so :P

thanks for your help btw !

Edited by johnny15, 28 March 2015 - 10:48 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,790 posts

Just a heads up for your customer johnny15,

Go for an ASUS replacement MB if possible or they may need to purchase a new product key for Windows, see excerpt from one of my canned texts below for as to why;

Just a cautionary note, unless your OS disk is the full retail edition you cannot use it with a new MB as an OEM disk is tied to the original MB it was paired with, to use an OEM disk with a new MB is software piracy and therefore illegal.

Exceptions to the above are 1: If your MB is replaced under warranty and 2: If your MB is replaced out of warranty with an alternative type but same brand due to the original model no longer being available, an upgraded MB however will require the purchase of a new OS licence. 

If you have a full retail disk and a product key that is not in use on another computer the OEM restriction/s is/are not the same.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,790 posts

Not heard from you for a while johnny15, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

johnny15

johnny15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
✓  Best Answer

He finally understood that his computer needed some upgrade ... :D

Done! everything is fine! after some discussion with the customer we decided for a new motherboad cpu and ram , 200 E and the computer is like new! 

Thanks 

phillpower2

for your time !

terminator always helps :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,790 posts

A job well done on your behalf johnny15 and thank you for letting us know so that the thread can be marked as answered, this helps people doing a Google search when they need help  :thumbsup: