Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No more OEM?

• Please log in to reply

heartgrave

heartgrave

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

What's this I hear, that if you need to replace your hard drive and/or motherboard, and you had an OEM Windows, you no longer need to buy another one? I am told you can just call Microsoft with your CD key and they will unlock it so you can use it on your new build as long as you are not selling it?

Advertisements

Glen Fiddich

Glen Fiddich

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

This has been like this for a long time on activation. They give you a free call number to dial 1800xxxxxx in Australia. Tell the m your tale of woe about a harddrive going south or motherboard burning out, they will get you read out your COA number. They will then give you another number to activate while you are talking to them.

I have not had to do it for a long time not since the early days of Win XP if recall right.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

What about if you upgrade your build just to upgrade?

Caliburn

Caliburn

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

What about if you upgrade your build just to upgrade?

From what I know, you can reinstall Windows again, as it is unlikely that it will detect it as a new computer. Failing that, simply activate over the phone, offering your COA number.

Edited by Caliburn, 24 March 2015 - 10:24 AM.