Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No audio device - no sound, just beeps

• Please log in to reply

Promojo

Promojo

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi guys

Went and got myself a windows XP home edition cd and formatted both my PC's. Everyting went well and everything works perfectly with my laptop. Problem is my PC can't play sounds. When I go into control panel under audio settings, I can't change any settings because "no audio device". The only sounds I hear is beeping from the internal speaker. Also, I can't even playback some of windows sounds such as error sounds or startup sounds. When running add hardware option, windows doesn't detect any new hardware.

I am not sure what sound card I have. Why is it that the laptop works perfectly without me doing anything, and both having windows XP home?

And where do you install a audio device? I tried installing Creative Soundblaster 16 but it won't work.

Thanks

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

You bought two versions of XP Home I hope as you are only allowed to install one version per computer !!

Yopu need to install the proper drivers for your soundcard.. Had you run the System Check when prompted by XP when you first put the cd in, it would have told you the soundcard was either incompatible or required a driver update to function !!

Murray