Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8.1 suddenly lagging and slow

Best Answer phillpower2 , 15 April 2015 - 10:54 AM

I make a point of never calling a notebook computer a laptop as it implies that one should be used sat in your lap when the fact is that one should not be   Notebook computers require coo... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

pjgoodman2

pjgoodman2

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Hi All,

I received my HP laptop with Windows 9.1 64 bit computer for Christmas 2014. It has worked so well until March 24th when suddenly it slowed considerable and became lagging. My web browsers (Chrome) is slow to load and any video is very slow to load and play and constantly stops and starts.

I have run Malwarebytes (found nothing) my antivirus (McAfee- found nothing) and have run out of ideas. It seems as though something is running in the background and I just cannot figure out what it is.

I would appreciate any help I can get. This site has helped me greatly in the past with other computers I have had problems with.

My system:

System Summary

General
Computer Name : PJ
User Name : Paul
Windows Directory : C:\Windows
Windows Version : Microsoft Windows 8.1 (build 9600), 64-bit
Processor
Identifier : Intel64 Family 6 Model 55 Stepping 8
Name : Intel® Celeron® CPU N2830 @ 2.16GHz
Speed : 2.2 GHz
Memory
Physical Memory : 4 GB
Virtual Memory : 7 GB
Video Adapter
Name : Intel® HD Graphics
BIOS : Intel Video BIOS
Chip Type : Intel® HD Graphics
Dac Type : Internal
Driver Version : 10.18.10.3408
Driver Date : 1-20-2014
Provider Name : Intel Corporation
Memory Size : 2 GB
Screen Resolution : 1366x768
Monitor : Generic PnP Monitor
Physical Storage Device
Model Number : ST500LT012-1DG142
Serial Number : W3P7R9W8
Controller : Primary Controller
Type : Master drive
Drive Type : Fixed
Drive Size : 465.8 GB
Logical Storage Device
Local Disk (C:) : 444.6 GB (405.0 GB free)
RECOVERY (D:) : 20.1 GB (2.0 GB free)
Power
AC power status : Online
Battery charge status : High?the battery capacity is at more than 66 percent
Battery life percentage : 100%
Battery life remaining : Unknown status
Battery full life time : Unknown status
Network Adapter
Name (1) : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2 (Other)
IP Address (1) : 0.0.0.0
Name (2) : Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter (Other)
IP Address (2) : 192.168.1.7
Name (3) : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller (Ethernet)
IP Address (3) : 0.0.0.0
Printer
Microsoft XPS Document Writer : PORTPROMPT:
HPC22BF8 (HP Photosmart 5520 series) : WSD-a771343e-65ec-4117-94b3-b99ba48cce88.003e
HP ePrint : LPT1:
Fax : SHRFAX:
Mouse : Standard PS/2 Mouse
Keyboard : Standard PS/2 Keyboard

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Hello pjgoodman2,

Try uninstalling McAfee to see if that helps, (see canned text below) if it is a paid for product make a note of the licence number first in case you wish to reinstall it later;

Are you aware that Windows 8 and 8.1 both have an updated version of Windows Defender that offers the same real time protection as Microsoft Security Essentials, you do not need third party AV protection and by not installing any you are reducing the possibility of potential conflicts and freeing up resources on your computer, information courtesy of admin here

pjgoodman2

pjgoodman2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

I have moved this to the Malware forum and am receiving help there now.  I hadn't seen your response before posting there and am sorry for the inconvenience Phillpower2. Thank you for responding

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Hello pjgoodman2,

Not a problem and thank you for advising  :thumbsup:

BTW, Dan will have you up and running in no time I'm sure  ;)

DanoNH

DanoNH

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,155 posts

Thanks phillpower2 :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Thanks phillpower2 :D

You are most welcome  :)  :thumbsup:

pjgoodman2

pjgoodman2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Phillpower2,

I received this bit of advice from DanoNH. 

Hello pjgoodman2,

Thanks for providing the model number of your laptop, and it is my pleasure to be of help.  :D

Upon a quick look, it seems you may have a newer version installed than HP offers in their official downloads for the model number you provided me with.  But as I said, that's beyond our scope here.

I recommend you provide the model number, along with your reported BIOS version to phillpower2 in your original thread here when we are done:
Windows 8.1 suddenly lagging and slow

He should be able to help you out.

Would you be willing and able to assist me with this?

My computer is an HP 15 Notebook PC, model J8X13UA#ABA and my Bios version is  Insyde F,12,  10/30/2014

I'd appreciate any advice.

Paul

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Welcome back pjgoodman2,

Be happy to help you with any remaining issue/s :thumbsup:  

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

pjgoodman2

pjgoodman2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Hi phillpower2,

I think I have sent the Speccy results. If not, please let me know.

Paul

pjgoodman2

pjgoodman2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Let's try this instead....

http://speccy.pirifo...RAw1NAgi1jnDCCi

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Bit stuck at the moment as HP is throwing up a This portlet is unavailable message so am unable to look into the BIOS version/s   :(

Hello pjgoodman2,

Try uninstalling McAfee to see if that helps, (see canned text below) if it is a paid for product make a note of the licence number first in case you wish to reinstall it later;

Are you aware that Windows 8 and 8.1 both have an updated version of Windows Defender that offers the same real time protection as Microsoft Security Essentials, you do not need third party AV protection and by not installing any you are reducing the possibility of potential conflicts and freeing up resources on your computer, information courtesy of admin here

If only to rule it out as the cause try uninstalling McAfee and using Defender.

pjgoodman2

pjgoodman2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

I uninstalled the McAfee and so far it is better. But the McAfee was pre-installed when I got it and it was fine until 3/24/15. But like I said, it is better and we will see if it slows down again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Pre-installed = bloatware and there is absolutely no need for OEM brands to bundle third party AV software on computers that ship with Windows 8 or 8.1 as the OS, they do so because they have agreements with companies such as McAfee  :(

Please ensure that Defender is running and that you create a new restore point for the present settings.

pjgoodman2

pjgoodman2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Phillpower2

I have been using this computer for a couple days now and I hate to say it, but it is still it still is slowing down after being on a while. If I shut it right off (not restart) and leave it off a moment, then start it up again, it hums along for quite awhile, then it loses steam. Is this normal or is there a setting that is messed up somehow? Is there any way to check it?

It is frustrating to say the least.

Paul

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

That is typical behaviour of overheating and most likely nothing to do with any software, are you using the notebook on a firm and even surface, can you hear the cooling fan working and if so how loud/fast does it sound and what are the ambient room temps like where the computer is being used.

Please ensure that Defender is running and that you create a new restore point for the present settings.

Have both of the above been done.