Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TreeSizeFree report on my C-drive

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

I’d welcome help in understanding the TreeSize Free report on the C-drive of my Dell XP desktop. I am using TreeSize V 3.2.2.

The first eight lines of the report read:

Documents and Settings       12.6 MB

WINDOWS                             11.2

Program Files                         5.2

System Volume Information    3.9

[Files]                                     1.3

I386                                        1.0

Dell                                           .4

Recycler                                   .3

Q1: I understand what’s in WINDOWS but I am not sure what’s in the others.

Q2: Where are all my WORD files located, in DandS?

Q4: Where are things like my Firefox browser and iTunes, in Program Files?

Q3: I don’t understand at all the relationship between the TreeSize report and the listings I get when I click Start/MyComputer/Cdrive.

I’d appreciate clarification. Thanks.   .... batpark

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi batpark :)

In order to understand your TreeSizeFree report, you need to understand Windows XP's file architecture. Let's take your questions one by one.

Q1: Which other folders? Every folders on your system, or every folders at the root of the Windows drive (C:)? I can tell you that Documents and Settings is where the userprofile (users) settings and their documents are kept, Program Files is where 32-bits programs are installed, System Volume Information is for the System Restore, the i386 folder contains installation files for your version of Windows, the Dell folder most likely contains folders and files related to Dell executables on the system (or installers for programs that came with your computer) and the Recycler is the Recycle Bin folder.

Q2: Your word files are located where ever you save them. You can save them pretty much everywhere, but by default they are usually saved in "My Documents".

Q3: Your "things" like Mozilla Firefox and iTunes are programs, and yes they are installed in Program Files.

Q4: What don't you understand exactly? It's a bit vague of a question.

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Q3 and Q4 are not labeled properly in the OP, but to help Aura answer the last question (if I understand what's being asked):

The C: is the partition where those 8 folders you listed are stored at.  The difference between clicking Start > Computer > C: and just running that TreeSizeFree report is the software/report splits up the storage space on the C: to give it a visual representation of the size of each folder and how much stuff is stored in those areas that, together, constitute the C:

I apologize if I'm only confusing things more.  Good luck!

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Aura, Fusionbomb: Thanks for your inputs, very helpful.   ..batpark

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts