Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to disable HP Quick Launch Buttons HELP!

• Please log in to reply

PosHyp

PosHyp

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Hey guys, so this is a random and recent problem, whenever I'm typing out text on my pc my HP quick launch buttons are activating and deactivating my volume and wireless internet which is driving me insane. For instance, I try to log into a site with name/pass or google something, once I press enter my internet connection is in the process of turning off as if I have reached and pressed this fancy blue lit button at the top right of my laptop. It goes from on (blue) to off (orange) and I have not reached across my laptop to press the button. Anyways using the internet feels like I am constantly dropping my connection back and forth and it is literally impossible to live with in this day an age. It's like I have a 56k dial up and I'm crossing my fingers that the next website page is going to load, and it doesn't after a 5 minute wait. The weird thing is that I remember it being so easy to deactivate these 'Quick Launch Buttons'. I have googled all of the how to's on disabling these buttons and the process is simple, you open msconfig and disable the buttons from the start up tab. Done. Didn't work. I uninstalled the freaking things, yep they have an uninstall, guess what, didn't work. The horrid buttons are still activated and working in full god forsaken force. Now I am at a complete loss. I don't know why my laptop refuses to let me disable the god [bleep] things. Please help :(

P.S. I pressed post new topic, and guess what, my internet was off. :/ Luckily the back button reloaded everything I had typed. Jeezus.

Advertisements

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

PosHyp,

That sounds awful.  Can you please tell us the brand/model of your laptop?

Has this problem always existed?  Or had something changed before you noticed the issue?  (updated drivers, hardware/software installation, etc?)

PosHyp

PosHyp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hey Fusionbomb,

This problem is very recent I have not had this problem until maybe a month or so ago tops. I have no idea what could have caused it.

HP HDX X18T-1100 CTO Premium Notebook PC

Model #: FJ929AV

Edited by PosHyp, 02 June 2015 - 08:15 PM.

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

PosHyp,

After checking around on that issue for your model laptop, it seems that it may be a design flaw in that HP series.  There are some fixes, but it requires some manual labor.

Here is a thread with some information.

Here is a video from that thread.

Here is another thread with more information.

I hope this helps.  Good luck!  :wave:

Edit:  I would like to kindly ask that you remove your serial # from the previous post.  Just edit it out when possible, please.  :spoton:

Edited by Fusionbomb, 02 June 2015 - 07:14 AM.

PosHyp

PosHyp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Wow that is a great find. I will keep you posted on the progress and end result. Thanks!

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Aye, keep us informed.  :yes:

You are most welcome.