Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help For Mom! Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

jbljohn

jbljohn

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
My Mom is 88 years old and does not deal with change well. Here computer is over ten years old and is operating on Windows XP. She uses it only for e-mail and stores no confidential information. Her computer is very, very slow. I have run Temporary File Cleaner and Malware this does not help. Her Computer is a Compaq - Presario SR 1000Z. Any suggestions or thoughts to help my Mom would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

Caliburn

Caliburn

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Well, if you're sure it's not malware, then it may simply be the age of the hardware. I'd strongly recommend upgrading anyway, since XP's support has been expired for over a year.

If you think it's malware, have a shot here.

Edited by Caliburn, 25 June 2015 - 09:05 AM.

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Thanks, but my phone would ring thousands of times if I changed Mom to a new Computer and operating system - she could not adjust to a change in the remote for a new cable TV provider for over two weeks. Defrag done. I'm thinking of trying to stop programs from running when she Starts her computer. How do I do that?

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

The easiest way to help you is for you to follow the directions here and post the two logs here.  Someone will be along to remove extras, typically adware in her browsers, help optimize the system, and reduce startups.

Regards,

CompCav

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Will do the next time I am at Mom's house.   Mom and I thank you!

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
:)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

I'll throw this out for consideration too:

How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the slowdown.

Advanced startup options - XP

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

Good tutorial on using msconfig in XP:

How to use msconfig in Windows XP

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig again.

Click on the Startup tab then enable all the items that were initially enabled (that you recorded).

Click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.