Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

W10 downloading

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

rigs

rigs

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

My windows 10 questions is, if you did not received the Microsoft’s announcement/reservation on your pc. Will W10 be available to be downloaded? The reason I ask is because my father's laptop has W7 but he did not received the Microsoft’s message.

Thank You

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello rigs,

The Windows 10 notification was originally released as an optional update and so would not have been automatically installed on the said computer, Microsoft has since changed the update to "Recommended" to emphasise its greater importance, check the update history for KB3035583 if it is not present you can download and install the update from the appropriate link below; 

Download KB3035583 for 32-bit (x86) Windows 7
Download KB3035583 for 64-bit (x64) Windows 7

Hope this answers your question, either way let us know how you get on.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

thanks...but just in case, will I still be able to d/load W10 on my dad's laptop without the notification?  is it neccessary?

thank you

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi rigs :)

The "Get Windows 10" app in the KB3035583 is the executable that is in charge of downloading the Windows 10 upgrade on July 29th when Windows 10 will be released worldwide. If you don't have it installed on your system, you won't be able to have that upgrade downloaded automatically on your dad's laptop, no. You'll however be able to download the Windows 10 .iso from Microsoft website (but this is done manually).

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Aura explains it quite nicely  :)

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

ok, I checked my father's laptop and the KB3035583 update is installed.  so, according to your replies.  he is all set to receive W10.  I was worried because he does not have the little microsoft emblem by the clock, like in my pc. 

thanks to both for your help..........

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
If you go in the C:\Windows\system32\GWX folder and execute GWX.exe, does the icon appear?

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

ok, I'll check tomorrow  and let you know.........

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
No problem rigs :)

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

OK, I found the folder and the file GWX. I clicked on it but the icon did not appear. I tried it 3 times with the same results. So, I don't know if the problem is with my father's laptop or with the file itself.

Thank You

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
I suggest you to give a try to the solutions listed in this thread.

https://answers.micr...32-a999a883265b

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

ok, I have a question.  on reply #2, phillpower2 gave me the link to d/load the  KB3035583 update.  can I uninstall it and the reinstall it in my father's laptop?  I open your last link and saw all the suggestion to fix the problem.  I'm kind of hesitant because I don't want to mess up my father's laptop.  however, if you think the other way may not work.  I'll just suck it up and follow your link's suggestions.

Thank You

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
You are free to uninstall any Windows Update you want and reinstall it, yes. If you want to know how to uninstall an update, follow the instructions in the link below.

http://windows.micro...s/remove-update

AlicePhoebe

AlicePhoebe

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Hello rigs,

The Windows 10 notification was originally released as an optional update and so would not have been automatically installed on the said computer, Microsoft has since changed the update to "Recommended" to emphasise its greater importance, check the update history for KB3035583 if it is not present you can download and install the update from the appropriate link below; 

Download KB3035583 for 32-bit (x86) Windows 7
Download KB3035583 for 64-bit (x64) Windows 7

Hope this answers your question, either way let us know how you get on.

I have download before i See this post, but there is still no notification, using windows 7 Ultimate.

Edited by AlicePhoebe, 16 July 2015 - 10:06 PM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi AlicePhoebe :)

There's some troubleshooting steps you can follow if you don't see the "Get Windows 10" app. Follow the instructions in the post below.

https://answers.micr...32-a999a883265b