Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gaming Memory Problems?

• Please log in to reply

ash_hay

ash_hay

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi

I built a custom PC back in January and its been brilliant with no problems. I have an i7 3.4ghz 16GB Ram, GTX 970 (Not overclocked)

Over the past few week Ive been having problems running games, they suddenly start stuttering every so often and the game will crash and I have to restart at least once every time I play.

I have noticed on MSI Afterburner that when I am gaming the "GPU1 Memory Usage", "RAM Usage" and the "Pagefile Usage" always maxes out when I am playing a game such as GTA. Could this have anything to do with the problem?

http://gyazo.com/5e0...efbf159ac1bb712
http://gyazo.com/b0f...38f7d1fef41929b

I hope someone can help me out

Thanks for your time

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

:welcome:    ash_hay,

Can you tell us the brand and model name or number for the PSU.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

ash_hay

ash_hay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

My PSU is a EVGA 600B Bronze

Here is the URL to the Speecy - http://speccy.pirifo...rBTW1WbuAhfz0tq

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

The only thing of note in Speccy is that the virtual memory (pagefile) is larger than what it should be, this is most likely not the cause of the issue but you should change it to 24GB (24000MB) in any event, how to below, let us know when it is done and if there is any change.

1. Open System by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

2. In the left pane, click Advanced system settings18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.

4. Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Virtual memory, click Change.

5. Clear the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box.

6. Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.

7. Click Custom size, type a new size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, click Set, and then click OK.

Note
  • Increases in size usually don't require a restart for the changes to take effect, but if you decrease the size, you'll need to restart your computer.

ash_hay

ash_hay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Which drive am I changing the Pagefile on? the drive with my operating system on or my drive with my games on?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

The C: drive.

ash_hay

ash_hay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I have changed the Pagefile and tried multiple times after changing it and nothing has changed, the stuttering is still there and the game eventually crashed

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Couple of things for you to do;

In your OP you say that the computer crashes so can you see if any crash dumps are available;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.
2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Download then run GPU-Z and attach screenshot/s of the results for us, GPU-Z from here

ash_hay

ash_hay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hi

My Minidump folder is empty.

The "SpeedFan" results when I am not playing a game are - 

http://gyazo.com/8f5...96f7232a1d8976e

SpeedFan results when I am playing a game the results are - 

http://gyazo.com/3ca...1e9c8c73c0d73f0

HWMonitor results when im not playing a  game - 

http://gyazo.com/a17...b389a760457bd30

http://gyazo.com/b21...07e24f1fb9c6bd3

HWMonitor results when I am playing a game - 

http://gyazo.com/7c1...8131687f77582b0

http://gyazo.com/1ac...3463be23e15ec66

GPU-Z results when not playing a game -

http://gyazo.com/8b8...30223e4c5afd179

GPU-Z results when I am playing a game - 

http://gyazo.com/d27...2e3bd5c3f4031a9

Thanks for helping me so far and I hope we can resolve my issue

Edited by ash_hay, 18 July 2015 - 12:44 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

If there are no crash dumps they are either not enabled or Windows itself is not crashing, is it always the same game that crashes or any game, any BSOD or does the computer simply lock up.

Make sure that crash dumps are enabled;

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Startup and Recovery, click Settings (or Startup and Recovery). For best results, under write debugging information selectfull memory dump. Your system however must meet several conditions for this option to work. 

The voltage to the memory slots is a little on the high side, have you overclocked this system in any way at all.

You have 8GB of 1600MHz Ram and 8GB of 1333MHz Ram, when you mix the brand and/or spec of Ram you will often encounter stability problems, did this problem start when you added the additional 8GB.

Polite reminder

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Advertisements

ash_hay

ash_hay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

When I am playing a game the game crashes and it says "this program has stopped responding"

My computer itself never crashes and I don't get the BSOD. The game crashes and then I have to reload it.

I have not overclocked my system in any way at all

I have 4 sticks of RAM inside my PC at 4GB each, they come as a pack together and are all the same make, they are all also 1333Mhz but for some reason it picks two of the 4GB sticks up as 1600MHz when they are not which I spoke to someone about when I first built my PC and they said its not a problem

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
When I am playing a game the game crashes and it says "this program has stopped responding"

I also asked;

is it always the same game that crashes or any game,

We are trying to determine if the crashes are software or hardware related, if for example only GTA crashes it would suggest that it may not be hardware related.**

No OCing is good but to see if it helps any try restoring the MBs most stable/default factory settings in the BIOS.

I have 4 sticks of RAM inside my PC at 4GB each, they come as a pack together and are all the same make, they are all also 1333Mhz but for some reason it picks two of the 4GB sticks up as 1600MHz when they are not which I spoke to someone about when I first built my PC and they said its not a problem

Whoever you spoke to should have also explained the following to you, it is not recommended to mix brands of Ram but if you must then ensure that both brands of Ram are at least the same voltage, the same CAS latency, the same Ras and that the speed is only less important as the faster Ram will be clocked backwards by the MBs BIOS to that of the slower Ram.

** If the issue happens with any game that you play I would suggest that you physically test each stick of Ram individually, I will post the steps for this once we know whether it is any game that crashes.

Can I ask what brand of Ram the stickers say it is that you have, Speccy is saying Unknown for all four sticks but I can tell you that the two sticks of 1333MHz Ram are not from the same week and that the two sticks of 1600MHz Ram apart from the voltage are not the same specs as the 1333MHz sticks.

Ram stick #1 = Part Number: RMB4GB58BCA3-13HC Week/year: 43 / 12

Ram stick #2 = Part Number: RMB4GB58BCA3-13HC Week/year: 44 / 12

ash_hay

ash_hay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

It crashes on multiple games, it isn't just GTA, it crashes on games such as Call of Duty too.

On the sticker of all the RAM sticks it says "offtek.memory"

Would it be possible to lower the MHZ of the 1600 ram sticks to 1333Mhz instead so they match?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
It crashes on multiple games, it isn't just GTA, it crashes on games such as Call of Duty too.

Which points to the issue as most likely being hardware related.

On the sticker of all the RAM sticks it says "offtek.memory"

Dealt with this company many times and would recommend them to anyone but did you actually purchase the Ram from them directly.

Would it be possible to lower the MHZ of the 1600 ram sticks to 1333Mhz instead so they match?

No need to as your MBs BIOS does this automatically, what the BIOS cannot do though is change the other settings.

I suggest that you remove all of the Ram and start by trying the two sticks of 1600MHz Ram in memory slots 1 and 2, these are the white coloured ones on your board and can additionally be identified by slot 1 being the one nearest to the edge of the MB by the 24 pin ATX power connection and slot 2 being the second slot away from the processor.

ash_hay

ash_hay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Yes I purchased all my ram from them directly

On all of the stickers it says "1333MHZ" so im unsure why two of them are 1600mhz to be honest

I did what you said and used slot 1 and 2 and played the game and nothing changed, the game still stuttered and it eventually crashed

I also looked at task manager while playing the game and surely the game shouldn't be using this much RAM? http://gyazo.com/e0b...11220f4d752bd9f

My RAM usage was on about 98% when I was playing with just the 2 sticks of RAM inside.