Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flashing desktop after Windows 10 update

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

rrcn

rrcn

• Pip
  • 5 posts

I "upgraded" my HP/Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10.  Everything appeared to be normal until the final setup.  It suddenly stopped updating and the desktop began flashing.  There was a message flashing that said something was not working with Corona and some other component and a repair would be attempted upon reboot . . . 2 days ago.  It is presently flashing (slower at least) and the desktop icons are beginning to fill in their pictures, I can cnt +alt +delete and bring up the task manager but no other control other than that.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

You have a lot more patience than I have :)

Open Task Manager then click on File, New task.

Enter shutdown /r /t 0 and press Enter. (that's zero, not the letter o)

The computer will restart. On reboot it may show a failure and restore you to Windows 7 which is better than being left with a non working Windows 10.

Before the next attempt, try doing the following (in no particular order after the backup is complete):

Create an image backup of your existing operating system to an external USB hard drive using a program like Macrium Reflect Free. If you don't have an external drive, get one as they are relatively cheap. A 1TB drive runs $50 to $60. Create the Rescue Disc that allows you to restore a backup is the computer will not boot normally, before you create the image backup so if anything goes wrong, you can recover in 20 to 30 minutes.

Check for updated drivers for your hardware at the manufacturers web site.
Disconnect everything except mouse, keyboard and display, EVERYTHING!
Uninstall your anti-virus if it's other than the built-in Defender.
Uninstall your firewall if it's other than the built-in Firewall.
Uninstall any Start button programs like Classic Shell, Start8, also Window Blinds, etc.
Uninstall any theme modifications.
If you moved any of your user folders to another drive or partition, move them back.
See here: Successful upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.1 with 'Users' in other drive!

If you  upgraded from Windows 8 or 8.1 and used EaseUS Partition Manager to change the partition structure, see EightForums for instructions on how to get your recovery partitions sorted, because the upgrade won't work otherwise.

Run chkdsk /r and let it start and complete on reboot.
Run sfc /scannow and see if it finds and repairs any system files.

Now try the upgrade to Windows 10.

Note: The above is a compilation of things people have done to get the Windows 10 upgrade to work for them. Seems like a lot of work but worth it if it allows you to do the upgrade.

rrcn

rrcn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks for your assistance . . . I did the steps for the reboot and it booted back to Windows 10, starts the flashing after about 30 seconds.

Edited by rrcn, 26 August 2015 - 03:40 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Found this:

I just upgraded my old windows 7 laptop to 10 and I found the flashing to be caused by icloud trying to startup.

I disabled auto startup of icloud and now all ok.

You can get to Safe Mode by clicking Start, power then Shift+click on Restart. Once there you can disable iClouid from Task Manager.

rrcn

rrcn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I have stopped all startup activity for apple software.  Looked at my cpu usage and decided that rapport by IBM was the problem, however as security software it appears  be hardened against tampering.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Uninstall it, see if the problem is resolved. If yes contact IBM and see if they has a patch or update.

rrcn

rrcn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Total failure, is it possible to go back to windows 7 from safe mode?  I ordered a 2 tb backup drive in case that is needed and I also have the hp backup disks, just don't want to lose my files 

rrcn

rrcn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Never mind, I found the go-back button and I now have a functional Windows 7.  I should have a backup drive early this week and will start over -- all apple & various other third part programs have been uninstalled.

Thank you for the assistance.