Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems

Best Answer phillpower2 , 18 September 2015 - 12:51 PM

Your update #44 suggests that the problem lays with the first PCI-E slot on the MB, if the board is still under warranty RMA it and be sure to explain that after testing with the same hardware the... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

No problem and thank you for the update  :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Tranquill

Tranquill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

It might be nothing important, but i kinda have an update on this.

These days i've removed Skype as i found on the internet how some Skype versions are causing blue screen problems, and as i really did get blurred screen, and even bluescreen once or twice after i logged into it, i thought that might be a problem. However, even after removing Skype, blue screen appeared again (last one when i gave you the last .dmp file i uploaded here). 

I'll post the screenshot of the screen i'm describing as blurred for a few posts now, it looks like this: (image quality is not that good, picture was taken with my mobile phone)

2015_09_13_00_24_47.jpg

Now the important part. Since removing my graphic card, i'm able to use the same version of Skype as before without any blue screen (been 2 hours now since when i logged into Skype, and i'm still using it).

In my opinion, this could also play a big role in suspecting that my graphic card is the problem.

Note about current situation: *Without graphic card* No blue screens as of yet, tho i can't play any game i used to play because of graphic demands being too high, so i can't say my PC is under the same amount of stress as it used to be, but i do occasionally play some smaller games i downloaded recently just for this test.

Edited by Tranquill, 14 September 2015 - 12:22 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
In my opinion, this could also play a big role in suspecting that my graphic card is the problem.

Indeed it could but not necessarily the card itself being bad but also the possibility of bad drivers or overheating.

FWIW: Most problems where Skype is concerned are security or internet related and nothing to do with graphics.

Tranquill

Tranquill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Killing some time, adding more info. Those high AUXTIN temperatures SpeedFan was showing on the screenshot in one of my previous posts are apparently false readings. 
Tested and 100% sure about this. So it definitely isn't a PSU problem. Also, i found a confirmation of this problem on the internet.

All the 120-150°C and -40°C temperatures SpeedFan is showing are wrong readings, having auxiliary sources.

Still, i'm aware that some other hardware may be overheating, and while we are at it, my CPU (i7 4790k) is running on it's stock cooler and since my PC is running almost 24/7, could this be a problem ? (even i don't think so as it's not OC'd but just making sure)

I'm grateful for all your help so far, i love to discuss about PCs but lots of people just lose their interest too fast, i'm glad you're not one of them.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

I'm grateful for all your help so far, i love to discuss about PCs but lots of people just lose their interest too fast, i'm glad you're not one of them.

Hello Tranquill,

I didn't respond to your reply because phil have replied you from post #5 and my personal opinion is that he will guide you better than me and he is an experience tech as well, sorry for any inconvenience happen to you because of me!  :(

Hope you Understand what i am trying to say!  :huh:

Regards  ;)   :wave:

Tranquill

Tranquill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Hello Tranquill,

I didn't respond to your reply because phil have replied you from post #5 and my personal opinion is that he will guide you better than me and he is an experience tech as well, sorry for any inconvenience happen to you because of me!  :(

Hope you Understand what i am trying to say!  :huh:

Regards  ;)   :wave:

Don't worry, i wasn't talking about you - there is no inconvenience at all, you have been very helpful as well  :happy:

Edited by Tranquill, 15 September 2015 - 08:26 AM.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Don't worry, i wasn't talking about you - there is no inconvenience at all, you have been very helpful as well  :happy:

:spoton:

Tranquill

Tranquill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

It has been 3 days now since i took out my GPU and had last bluescreen, i guess it's safe to say it won't appear again. What should i do ? Take my GPU to the shop so they can try to fix it or do some more tests just to make sure ? 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Apologies for the late reply folks, been busy elsewhere  :(

Killing some time, adding more info. Those high AUXTIN temperatures SpeedFan was showing on the screenshot in one of my previous posts are apparently false readings. 
Tested and 100% sure about this. So it definitely isn't a PSU problem. Also, i found a confirmation of this problem on the internet.

All the 120-150°C and -40°C temperatures SpeedFan is showing are wrong readings, having auxiliary sources.

Still, i'm aware that some other hardware may be overheating, and while we are at it, my CPU (i7 4790k) is running on it's stock cooler and since my PC is running almost 24/7, could this be a problem ? (even i don't think so as it's not OC'd but just making sure)

Aye and I said as much in my replies #19 and #21

I must mention that Speedfan and the like sometimes give out anomalous readings and this can be caused by a MBs own monitoring software, that said your Speedfan screenshot shows a very high AUXTIN3 reading, AUXTIN is the power supply temp sensor if there is one while SYSTIN relates to the motherboard.

Nothing untoward showing in HWMonitor.

Regarding your GPU, try the card in the second PCI-E slot to see if the problem reoccurs and then get back to us.

NB: Please keep in mind that with the video card removed the PSU is under far less load and that could still explain why the system has not crashed, when you try the card in the second slot, do some gaming and place your hand at the back of the PSU to see how hot the air is that is being expelled, additionally have a sniff to see if you get any hint of a burning smell.

Tranquill

Tranquill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Regarding your GPU, try the card in the second PCI-E slot to see if the problem reoccurs and then get back to us.

NB: Please keep in mind that with the video card removed the PSU is under far less load and that could still explain why the system has not crashed, when you try the card in the second slot, do some gaming and place your hand at the back of the PSU to see how hot the air is that is being expelled, additionally have a sniff to see if you get any hint of a burning smell.

Alright, will do. Yes, i understand that. Anyhow, i've been running HWMonitor for more or less ever since i removed my GPU, here are the results:

New_HWMonitor.png

I will check it and update the topic tomorrow at this time with more info.

Thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

In addition to the previously suggested steps;

Please restart your computer and check the temperatures/voltages in the BIOS, no screenshot is required just make a note of the temperatures, the CPU/VCore voltage, the +3.3V, +5V and the +12V rails and post them with your next reply.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.

The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

I have asked for the above as HWMonitor is showing the V Core voltage as being way too high, if not overclocking the voltage should be in the range of 0.9 to 1.0V and certainly no more than 1.1V.

Tranquill

Tranquill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

In addition to the previously suggested steps;

Please restart your computer and check the temperatures/voltages in the BIOS, no screenshot is required just make a note of the temperatures, the CPU/VCore voltage, the +3.3V, +5V and the +12V rails and post them with your next reply.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.

The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

I have asked for the above as HWMonitor is showing the V Core voltage as being way too high, if not overclocking the voltage should be in the range of 0.9 to 1.0V and certainly no more than 1.1V.

CPU Voltage 1.040V
3.3V Votage 3.408V
5V Voltage 5.040V
12V Voltage 12.096V

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

1.040V is more like it else the CPU would have fried by now.

Will look out for you update once you have had chance to do the other checks tomorrow  :thumbsup:

Tranquill

Tranquill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Ok, here's an update so far. GPU is in a second PCI-e slot, so far so good, without any bluescreen. What might be important to mention is that i noticed how this game i'm playing is much more stable, my fps used to act like it's on a rollercoaster, dropping down to 5-10 fps, than going up to 40-50, but ever since i changed the slot, i get a stable 60 all the time. If you are wondering why i didn't mention this earlier, it's because this game is badly optimized, so i thought those fps drops are normal - still, it was unplayable.

About checking the temp with hand: Everything is as cold as ice, there's no burning smell coming out, CPU fan is blowing a bit hotter air than i expected, but still nothing out of ordinary for a stock cooler in my opinion.

Tranquill

Tranquill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

There's still no bluescreen, however, i noticed something interesting. Maybe it's nothing, but my driver booster informed me today that PCI bridge of my other PCI-e slot (the one i'm using at the moment) is not updated, and now i'm in a dilemma if i should update it or not, as everything is running perfectly - don't get me wrong, i install my drivers manually and only use automatic driver finder to inform me if i should check for an update or not. On the other hand, the previous PCI-e slot i was using while i had those bluescreen errors was updated to the latest version. I understand a lot of people would have a problem with this if it was a driver error, but maybe i just got the wrong driver for that PCI bridge and that was causing the bluescreen. Could this be true ?

EDIT: Proof.png

This is what i'm talking about

Edited by Tranquill, 18 September 2015 - 12:45 PM.