Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freeze, stuttering sound, nothing responds

Best Answer phillpower2 , 06 September 2015 - 05:36 AM

You still have a decent spec rig there and tbh I would not give up on it yet. Something that you could try if you have a small desktop fan, with the side of the case removed, direct the fan so... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Satarel

Satarel

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Hi :)

I turn to you in a final attempt to see if you can help me with my problem.

I have a 4 year old PC:

Intel® Core™ i7-2600K CPU @ 3,40 GHz, 3701 Mhz, 4 core(s), 8 logic processors

Bios Award Software International, Inc. F1, 15-04-2011

Windows 10 Home (recently upgraded from Win7, but problem occurs with both OS's)

Physical Memory 8 GB

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

Physical Memory 8 GB

Virtual Memory 16 GB

The problem is random freezes/lock ups with the only option to power down the hard way. The sound oftens "stutters" as it freezes. Its totally random, it can happen in games, youtube, just by using explorer or frankly doing nothing at all:)

I have tried:

Disabeling additional sound drivers (NVIDIA High Def which I have 4 of) and running realtek only

Disabeling mouse/keyboard drivers

Tried NUMEROUS NVIDIA drivers since I have read there is/was a lot of general trouble with the 560 card:( I have not had the succes others have had..

I have done windows memory tests without any problems

Nothing have really worked, and since it happens VERY randomly its hard to see instant succes/failure.

From what I have read it could be power related and/or BIOS that messes up things, I sincerily hope you can give me some tips! I was hoping the pc could last a few more years, but I am about to give up:)

Best regards, and thanks a lot in advance

Brian

PS: I am a huuuge pc noob when it comes to configs/building of them..:)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts

Hello Satarel,

Can you post the brand and model name or number for both the motherboard and PSU.

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Satarel

Satarel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Thanks for a fast reply!

PSU: SL-700

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd

Model: Z68A-D3-B3

Speedfan and HWMonitor are attached:)

Attached Thumbnails

• Speedfan.jpg
  • HWmonitor1.jpg
  • HWmonitor2.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

PSU: SL-700

Can we have the brand name please, some are better than others and some do not put out anywhere near the claimed output, that said the output on the +3.3, +5 and +12V rails look ok albeit without the computer being under load.

CPU and GPU temps are high for a computer that is not under any load, can you do some gaming or watch a video etc then take and attach new screenshots for us.

Can I ask when was the computer last cleaned out of heat trapping dust and are there any more cooling fans other than the CPU and GPU.

You are welcome btw  :)

Satarel

Satarel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Brand name of PSU: Inter-Tech (thats about the last bit of info I was able to find, so I hope it will Suffice:D)

Ok I tried:

1: Gaming session 1 of about 20 mins. I got MASSIVE heat of GPU, didn't get a screen though, but it capped at 99C. here after I left the computer and let it enter hibernation (?)

2: Letting the computer start up from hibernate(?) I got a fast Speedfan screenshot.

3: Gaming session 2 of about 20 mins. I got a screenshot this time and its attached. It was same game (Diablo3), 88C was the highest.

At no time during this was the computer turned off.

The side of the cabinet is open, it was cleaned just before I made my original post (should have said so:)). No other fans other than CPU and GPU.

Attached Thumbnails

• Speedfan from hibernation.jpg
  • Speedfan while gaming.jpg

Edited by Satarel, 05 September 2015 - 11:08 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts

The Inter-Tech brand is not one of the better ones and when independently tested the model that you have only put out 500W + it does not even have a minimum of an 80% efficiency rating  :( PSU info here

Overheating does look to be the cause of the problem, you have a poor quality PSU that will be being forced to work hard to produce the power needed for you hardware and this heat is being circulated around inside the case rather than being expelled at the rear of the case by an exhaust fan.

What I suggest you do first is improve the internal cooling and preferably by adding an internal fan at the front of the case to draw in cool clean air and one at the rear of the case to get rid of the hot air efficiently, your MB has the fan headers for this and if you tell us the brand and model of your case we can take a look at what the cooling options are.

Please note that if your hardware has already been subjected to overheating for a prolonged period of time then one or more components could be badly damaged. 

Satarel

Satarel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

To be honest I feared it was a power/heat issue... It has been going on for quite a while, so I guess its questionable to throw money after it, since I don't know the potential damage already dealt..:)

Thanks again for your quick replies:)

I guess you can lock this one solved, perhaps I'll make a new post when its time to decide which new pc I should get, to be a bit better off next time:)

Best regards

Brian

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts
✓  Best Answer

You still have a decent spec rig there and tbh I would not give up on it yet.

Something that you could try if you have a small desktop fan, with the side of the case removed, direct the fan so that it is blowing cool air into the inside of the case and then do some gaming to see if the issues still happen, if they don't it may suggest that your hardware is ok and just needs keeping cooler by using a couple of internal fans like the example here

Satarel

Satarel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Just a small update, I guess there is hope yet. I have tried running it for for last days without the side on, and with a fan directed at the pc.

I can get the GPU heat to max 86C, but so far no crashes! :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts

That is good news, time to get yourself some additional cooling fans me thinks :)  

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts

Not heard back from you Satarel, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Satarel

Satarel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I think I am good now:) Thanks again for your help!

Best regards

Brian

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts

You are most welcome and thank you for the follow up  :thumbsup: