Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Emachines ET1331TG-o7W - no video output question (Resolved)

Best Answer geno368 , 24 October 2015 - 10:25 AM

You are a very good technician and I really appreciate your help Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

A: Caps ok, B: new PSU and C: Ram details acknowledged  :thumbsup:

Not being negative but keep in mind that the MB could have a short circuit and a new PSU can be DOA so neither are effectively ruled out I`m afraid  :(

Meant to ask this earlier but forgot,  are you using a USB or a P/S2 (wired) type keyboard.

Advertisements

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I am using a usb keyboard & mouse...it does, however have PS2 inputs.... should I try using them?

Edited by geno368, 18 October 2015 - 09:13 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Try using a wired keyboard in the PS/2 port please.

NB: The USB keyboard and mouse need to be disconnected when doing the above.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I plugged in the PS2 mouse & keyboard.  It powered up with fans running but no POST beep or video....BTW, it appears that the onboard video input feels a little loose..should I re-install the pci express card?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Did you try getting into the BIOS using the wired keyboard.

BTW, it appears that the onboard video input feels a little loose.

Do you mean on the MB itself or the screen to VGA port connection.

should I re-install the pci express card?

Hold off doing so until we have an update regarding the loose video connection.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

The keyboard is not responding...no numbers lock or caps lock lights....I kept pressing "escape" for bios...nothing

I will check but it seems to be a little loose because you have to screw it in to get it tight on the m/b

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Do the following for us if you will;

Follow the usual safety procedures.

Remove the CMOS battery.

Use the CX 430 PSU, ensure that both the 24 and 4 pin ATX connections are securely in place.

Remove the Ram.

Fit the add on video card that was not in use when the computer froze.

Replace the CMOS battery.

Connect only the wired keyboard (no mouse).

Reconnect to the mains and test, if still no beeps it suggests that the MB is bad.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

followed your instructions to the letter....fans come on full...no video....long continuous beep

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Following the usual safety procedures can you now try testing the set up that you have at present but insert one stick of Ram into the slot nearest to the CPU, make a note of the result then test the same stick in any other memory slot/s, once done, remove the first stick of Ram and repeat the process with the second stick of Ram and get back to us.

BTW: We were not expecting to get video without any Ram in place only checking the outcome of the Ram being removed and an alternative video card in place.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Thanks again for the help....Here are the results:

1 stick installed = posted and changed date and time in bios...booted to os

installed other stick = no post ( in both of the purple slots closest to cpu)

moved the last stick to 3rd slot (orange) = booted fine and showed both sticks active (4gb)

FYI...I left the card plugged into the mb and connected the vga cable to the onboard plug and it posted but no video

Edited by geno368, 21 October 2015 - 08:37 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

So you now have Ram in memory slots 1 and 3, an add on video card providing video, the CX430 powering the system and all is well!

JAFYI: Unless disabled in the BIOS when an add on video card is detected by the POST the MBs integrated chip is automatically disabled, this whether or not the add on video card is working.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Does this mean slot 2 on the m/b is bad?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
So you now have Ram in memory slots 1 and 3, an add on video card providing video, the CX430 powering the system and all is well!

Is that a yes?

Does this mean slot 2 on the m/b is bad?

Possibly but your reply #25 is a bit confusing;

1 stick installed = posted and changed date and time in bios...booted to os In which slot and was this stick tried on its own in all other slots, if yes did the computer post each time.
installed other stick = no post ( in both of the purple slots closest to cpu) Was this when tested on its own or with the other stick alongside it.

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the MB for us, if we can find a user manual it may say that Ram needs to be in slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 when used in pairs.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I did try each stick by itself in slot one and it booted fine.  Sorry, I did not tru all 4 slots since slot 1 worked but I will do so now if necessary...please advise.

the fail was when both sticks were side by side in slots 1 & 2

The motherboard is a eMachines MCP61PM-GM

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

As per my reply #24

Following the usual safety procedures can you now try testing the set up that you have at present but insert one stick of Ram into the slot nearest to the CPU, make a note of the result then test the same stick in any other memory slot/s, once done, remove the first stick of Ram and repeat the process with the second stick of Ram and get back to us.

Why this is so important, it conclusively tests all of the Ram and each memory slot, some other important info below**.

The motherboard is a eMachines MCP61PM-GM

The board is an OEM made by ECS for among others Acer, Gateway and a similar one the MCP61PM-HM (Nettle) for HP, this means that there is no actual user manual available, best idea I can get for how the Ram slots are laid out is from HP which shows 1-2-3-4 with slot 1 being nearest the CPU,**what this means, for best, most stable performance and the Ram to function in dual channel mode the two sticks should normally be in slots 1 and 2, if slot 2 is bad and you use slots 1 and 3 while it will be seen as 4GB the Ram will only operate in single channel mode and performance suffer (not massively) if this turns out to be the case I would suggest trying slots 3 and 4 to see if you get a stable 4GB in dual channel mode.