Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

possible malware

• Please log in to reply

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello,

Boot the computer to Safe Mode with networking then open Chrome.

To do that
  • Restart the computer.
  • During restart keep tapping the F8 key.
  • At the advanced boot options menu (Black screen with white letters) use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with networking press enter on keyboard.
  • Once in safemode with Networking, open Chrome and only browse to here --> https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl

Let me know how that goes.

Advertisements

Steveows696

Steveows696

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

It works fine this way no restart.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
What do you think it could be ?

Have you replaced the Anti Virus program recently, because in Safe Mode with networking the Anti Virus program does not load. So to me it looks like a possible Anti Virus program issue with Webroot, it may be a good place to start.

Steveows696

Steveows696

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

webroot has got to be the problem. all this started after my boss installed webroot. is this something you can help me with?

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello,

We can uninstall Webroot and install Avast for now, I'll provide instructions in a bit.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello;

You may need to boot the computer back to SafeMode with networking to download avast free.
Download Avast free from Here.
Download to the desktop----> Do not install it yet.

Next uninstall webroot

Click on the Start button and open the Control Panel, select "Add or Remove Programs", and then select the 'Webroot' security product from the list and click 'Remove'. Restart your computer after the uninstall is complete.

Then
Download and run this tool;
http://download.webr...UpgradeTool.exe

Now
Double click the Avast set up file we downloaded previously and install it.

Open Chrome and visit some websites.

Let me know how it behaves now.

Thanks
Joe :)

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello,

Are we doing ok here ?

Steveows696

Steveows696

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
No its really making me mad now it restarts in safe mode with Web root gone. I may just send it to repair not sure if I wanna keep messing with it!

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
That's going to be the best and most logical thing to do, the reset issue sounds like hardware, power supply, ram etc.

I'm sorry we could not resolve it in this manner, it really is best to have eyes on it and sit in front of the machine so as to make a better determination of what the issues is and have much faster results fixing it...

Thanks
Joe :)