Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying a new video card (Resolved)

video card old pc new strong

Best Answer phillpower2 , 08 November 2015 - 03:26 AM

Power supply: CODEGEN 350W, model 300XX, ATX 2.03(P4).  Not the best of PSUs even when new (see links in my sig below) so before upgrading I suggest that you check the output, reason bein... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Not even a little bit? Any arguments? And I know it's kinda unsafe, might reduce the life of CPU/GPU and all.. But if slight and smart OVC for some bonus performance, isn't it ok?

Edited by zapuxas098, 15 November 2015 - 03:42 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

The biggest problem that I have with overclocking is the heat that it generates, most CPUs ship with a stock heatsink and cooling fan and these are not good enough to keep the temperatures down when overclocking the CPU, the only option is to use a better third party cooler which in the case of a new CPU can void your processors 3 year warranty and any RMA may be refused if AMD or Intel suspect a bad OC and/or the use of a third party cooler, Intel have done something about this by offering a separate warranty for OCers, see here  rumour had it but not seen it AMD were meant to be doing the same at some point.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Hm I see, I'd actually first overclock my GPU. Seems a bit easier though.
Btw, should I close this topic somehow? Or can I wait for a few weeks more until I start looking for a new HDD/SSD? Then I'll need to ask some stuff again

Edited by zapuxas098, 16 November 2015 - 09:40 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

If you do plan on OCing the GPU see if there are any online tutorials for your specific brand of card.

No need to mark this thread as answered until you are ready, I will get back to you if we don't hear from you for too long.

Hows it going with the PSU upgrade.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Good evening, Phill!

So I bought the BeQuiet PSU and one more RAM stick(the same). All seems fine. PSU doesn't work loudly. All 8 GBs of ram are shown in the programs like CPU-z/Task manager, so I guess all of it is being used/ready for use?

I have a question about temperatures now. I did Prime95 stresstest on my  CPU , I've reached 67 celcius temperature after 5 minutes of it. I wonder isn't it too high? 
I had a crash while playing Black desert in around 10 minutes. Had one in Heroes 7 too(all ran on high settings with 40-60FPS). But then I played low-graphiced game like WarRock, also crashed once in menu even! So not sure if that's the problem of temperature.... Btw, I had these crashes with old PSU, and once with this new one(in black desert with the new PSU).
Just did Heaven Benchmark for my  GPU . Reached max of 66-67 celcius too.  Are these GPU and CPU temperatures safe to go with? 

P.S. IDLE temperatures(When on desktop listening to music or smth like that)- CPU ~42C  /   GPU ~35C.

Thanks again!

Edited by zapuxas098, 17 November 2015 - 02:19 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Good evening  :)

Glad to hear that the upgrades went in ok  :thumbsup:

Both temps are fine as the testing software purposely maxes the hardware, your CPUs max safe temp is 71.3°C and the MB should shut down the system if the temp reaches 71.3°C, your GPU will start to artifact if the temp reaches 95 C.

See if there are any crash dumps for us;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.
2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

Edit;
Need to pop out for 20 or so minutes but will be back.

Edited by phillpower2, 17 November 2015 - 02:24 PM.
As above

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

I couldn't find the folder. So I checked how to make it. Used this info:

"To ensure minidumps are enabled:
Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
OK your way out."

So I guess I need to wait not for the other crash for the files to appear?

Take care, Phill!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Be nice if you don't get any more crashes but at least you have ensured that crash dumps are enabled  :thumbsup:

You also take care zapuxas098.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

How do you think, could an old HDD of 160GB affect/make it crash? Because the rest of the PC is new except that HDD.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Hard to say for sure but it is possible, was a fresh installation of Windows done on the drive with the hardware that it is being used with, if yes, were the MB drivers also installed and starting with the chipset drivers first.

Advertisements

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Yes, I did a fresh installation. I had a CD for the PC(AMD all in 1, ethernet/LAN, audio manager etc). I also downloaded Driver Booster, updated all I had out-dated. So I guess I am good with the drivers.

P.S. I just reached 71C temp of my GPU after playing for like 30 mins. But still not sure if I could reach more than 73-75. Meanwhile CPU stays at 65 like frozen.

Edited by zapuxas098, 17 November 2015 - 04:05 PM.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Okay I just crashed again in Black desert. 2nd time in a row there. Had just 62C temp of GPU. I didn't get the blue screen, just that crappy sound of stuckness and frozen window. Restarted manually. And yet can't find the MiniDump folder. Maybe because it's not the blue screen?

Edited by zapuxas098, 17 November 2015 - 04:22 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Avoid using any software that automatically updates your system.

Please note that drivers should never be updated unless it is to address a known issue, if a driver is installed needlessly you can end up creating the very issue that the updated driver was intended to correct, rolling back to the previous driver does not always work and waiting for the next driver update can take some time and also not work.

Same goes for the so called system tweaking tools that Iobit offers and registry cleaners in general, see the blog here for a detailed explanation.

No crash dumps suggests that Windows itself is not crashing.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Any tips of what to do? Might it be the drivers or something related to the hardware? Talking about the buzzy crash of PC.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s.