Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best program for taking stillshots from an AVI video file?

Best Answer TooNew2 , 14 November 2015 - 10:08 PM

As a trivial sideline, would you happen to know where Adobe got its name?   Google knows everything.... Adobe is the name of a creek that courses through Los Altos Hills,... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

TooNew2

TooNew2

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

I had A Hi-8 tape file digitized to an AVI file (with time increments showing in seconds) and would like to capture stillshots from it. The original tape was made under poor conditions, with the camera movement being rather fast. When I view the AVI file using Windows Media Player, I can pause the player to take a screen shot, but sometimes, when paused, the image is poor. If I back up and stop within that same time increment, sometimes the image is good, sometimes it's poor, I assume because within that one second increment, lots of sub-increments exist and I'm unable to control exactly where in the data stream I stop.

I have briefly looked at the descriptions of a few video editing programs but didn't see any obvious mention of this feature I want. I haven't studied the subject enough to understand all the terminology, am not interested in most of the features advertised, and don't have the time t dig through it all anyway. Does anyone here know of a program which can run my file at a very slow speed or which has some other way that I can more easily capture (and later print) good stillshots? 

Three programs I have found or that were mentioned by someone are:

Free AVI Player, VLC Media Player. and Adobe Premiere-Pro

Will any of these, (preferably one of the first two free ones), do what I need, or does anyone know of a another program which will?

Advertisements

Yisroel

Yisroel

GeekU Senior

• GeekU Senior
  • 1,101 posts

Hi TooNew2,

I think VLC is all what you need. (Free AVI player I never used, and Adobe Premiere Pro is an overkill.) VLC has a Frame by frame button which moves the video through every single frame it has, and then you could snap a shot with its built in Take a snapshot option.

dwxmhu.png 2nhgqx0.png

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Thanks. I may give it a try tonight if I get the time. If I had had to guess alone, it's probably the one I would have picked to try.

As a trivial sideline, would you happen to know where Adobe got its name? :laughing:  

Yisroel

Yisroel

GeekU Senior

• GeekU Senior
  • 1,101 posts

As a trivial sideline, would you happen to know where Adobe got its name? :laughing:  

Google knows everything....

Adobe is the name of a creek that courses through Los Altos Hills, Los Altos and Palo Alto – all cities in California, US. Both founders of the company worked in Palo Alto. And both of them lived right next to Adobe Creek. The creek ran behind co-founder John Warnock’s home in Los Altos, California. (source: http://wwwimages.ado...fast-facts.pdf)

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
✓  Best Answer

Google knows everything....

Adobe is the name of a creek that courses through Los Altos Hills, Los Altos and Palo Alto – all cities in California, US. Both founders of the company worked in Palo Alto. And both of them lived right next to Adobe Creek. The creek ran behind co-founder John Warnock’s home in Los Altos, California. (source: http://wwwimages.ado...fast-facts.pdf)

------------------------------------------------------

Yes, very good answer, but doesn't using Google constitute cheating?  :oops: Just kidding, of course. Here's another link with a bit more about the older history:

http://www.lahopensp...reekHistory.htm

But ... the rest of my story ..... over half a century ago, I found a snake, probably in Adobe Creek; it was shortly later identified as a San Francisco Garter.

Kids!   Always goofing-off, looking at more stuff like This, when 'they' should be downloading that program and trying it? 

Thanks again

Edited by TooNew2, 14 November 2015 - 10:09 PM.