Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen and desktop has gone blue? (Resolved)

Best Answer phillpower2 , 15 February 2016 - 05:54 AM

You are welcome   Can you let us know if you consider your question as answered please so that the thread can be marked accordingly  Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Appreciate your input EmishOrc but having read the thread you should already be aware that removing the side of the case has helped with the cooling and that dan7brit is now waiting on a new PSU, nothing more to be done until the junk PSU has been swapped out.

If you check the Speccy report you will note that the memory controller reading is 1.672 V, in the case of a CPU that has an integrated memory controller the voltage should not exceed that of the CPU and for older MBs that have a Northbridge chip the voltage should not exceed or be below that of the Ram, 1.3V / 1.35V and 1.8V respectively.

Off topic here but in reply to the reply #31 of EmishOrc above;

If correctly applied and as long as the HS and cooling fan have not been removed or disturbed for some reason thermal paste will normally last the lifetime of the computer and/or the processor and should not need reapplying.

As for Arctic Silver being the best, it is what I always use but only because it is my preference and there are equally as good products out there. 

Advertisements

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Hi, I have taken another look at the PSU and it seems to be encased without any switch opening. Withy all those leads and what looks like a fiddly replacement,  I think I may just approach a hardware engineer to do the job for me.

One other question I have is if overheating is a problem, then has it not fried or damaged my CPU? If that is the case then a new motherboard will be needed as well.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Excuse the title of the guide but see here for how to swap out a PSU.

If your computer has been ok since taking the side off and the clean out then your hardware would appear to be ok.

Would it be possible for you to take a picture of the back of your case and upload it for us.

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Hi, see attached

Attached Thumbnails

• back cmpt.jpg

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

the inside and motherboard

Attached Thumbnails

• 20cmpt.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Have you got a model name or number for the computer so we can look for a user manual.

It is a standard ATX PSU but it would appear that it is held in place by TORX screws, commonly four in number but only two can be seen in your photo, you will need to borrow a TORX (star) driver to get the screws out.

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

HP pavilion A6411 UK (product number: KQ484AA)

Edited by dan7brit, 31 January 2016 - 04:39 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

The one thing that the manual does not show you is how to swap out the PSU, take a look here in case I missed it.

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Hi, maybe this is a silly question, but does the new PSU have to have the same dimensions as the old one?  Evga and Corsair seem to be bigger than my old one.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Not a silly question at all, quite the opposite in fact  :thumbsup:

Your PSU is a standard ATX type (have checked this here) most PSUs are around the same size and shape nowadays unless the computer is a small form factor or cube etc, you mention Corsair and EVGA but not the Seasonic here that I suggested, why pay more than you have to.

BTW: I still suggest that you have the present PSU tested before making any purchase.

Advertisements

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Thanks. I may just go for a straight replacement because of what I have read about Bestec PSUs being referred to as “Worstec”, due to problems with their transistor based  circuits which cause the voltage to go way over the safe level after a few years of use and cook the motherboard. This seems to be the case for my PC.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

A wise decision  :thumbsup:

To help further with keeping the internal temps down I would also suggest that you fit a rear exhaust fan, this would expel the hot air and help with keeping dust build up to a minimum, if you measure the dimensions for us we can suggest one for you.

To summarize before making any purchase/s you should;

Measure the space that you have available for any replacement PSU.

Measure the dimensions that any rear exhaust fan must be, see my attachment below for where you need to measure.

Get back to us with the dimensions of both. 

Edit;

Attachment removed.

Edited by phillpower2, 04 February 2016 - 08:14 AM.
As per the above.

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

PSU length is 14cm, 10cm wide and 14cm high

As I mentioned previously, the Seasonic, Evga and Corsair are all slightly bigger

Rear exhaust fan is 8.5cm high by 8cm wide

Edited by dan7brit, 03 February 2016 - 04:36 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

It is the space that you have inside of the case that you need to measure.

PSUs are measured (L) X (H) X (D).

The (H) and (W) are fine going by your measurements but you need to check that a PSU that is the equivalent of 15cm long will fit in your case, see new attachment below.

Case cooling fan here

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

I have ordered the Seasonic PSU and await its delivery. It is a bit longer than my old PSU, but there is a couple of centrimetres spare which should make it fit OK.