Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Indexing

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I don't think a failing mouse would do that.  Go into Device Manager and find your mouse, right click on it and uninstall then reboot.  It should find it again and reinstall it.

Advertisements

A1RotNBrat

A1RotNBrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Okay did that and it's still crazy. I even tried another mouse and it does the same thing.  Seems as if it's getting worse selecting stuff on it's own.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Have you checked with the PC maker's website to see if there is a better driver for the mouse/

Apparently Mouse left or right is controlled by a registry value:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse

If you use regedit to visit the above then on the right side you will find SwapMouseButtons..  If it's 0 then its the normal right hand mouse.   1 means reverse the buttons

i have attached mouse.zip.  If you save it and right click on it and Extract all you will find the mouse.reg which is an export from the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse of my win 8.  Perhaps if you right click on it and Merge it will correct some of the oddness.

A1RotNBrat

A1RotNBrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

This didn't work.  It's still acting crazy.  I tried the  mouse on my son's laptop and it works just fine there.  (Like it was working on mine before).  Is there a virus or something that could be affecting the mouse?  The only thing I've done since we did all the other stuff is reinstall the WIndows Phone App so my phone would sync, etc.  One other thing I notice that is strange is that when I am in Chrome, when I open a new tab that computer stalls and all the tabs become "locked" for a minute or so then resume fine.  I am running the most recent version of Chrome.  It also locked up when I tried in Firefox.  

A1RotNBrat

A1RotNBrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Here is an example.  I just swapped tabs from this forum back to Facebook tab and this is what it looked liked.  

Attached Thumbnails

• example.png

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Don't know of any virus.  Do you have any remote control software installed like logmein or teamviewer?

I get the same effect on Facebook if I hit Ctrl + A so that still looks like a keyboard issue.

On the new tabs I wonder if the delay is caused by problems loading the little favorite windows 

See what happens if you install this in chrome:

https://chrome.googl...mfilij?hl=en-US

Do you still get the delay?

A1RotNBrat

A1RotNBrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

That seems to fix the delay.  I don't know of any remote control software that I have.  I don't remote access the computer or anything.  I am also using another keyboard (not the laptop) but when I unplug it, the same thing happens.  Also, when I'm in Outlook, instead of having to double click on a message to open it, it opens the second I mouse over it.  The settings are for double click, etc.  So I don't know what's causing it but it's a pain.  Another for instance is if I am in FB notifications I click on the notification I want to see but it will open up whatever link is UNDER the notification I click.  If I am looking at a notification that someone likes a photo, I click on the notification and it will normally bring up the picture.  But now it will bring up a game page, ad page, etc.  Whatever is sitting under what I click.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Perhaps you have accidentally  activated one or more Ease of Access options.  One of them is Hover equals Doubleclick

This is for Win 7 but I expect it's the same on 8.

http://windows.micro...e#1TC=windows-7

A1RotNBrat

A1RotNBrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Checked that and it looks fine.  Here's the screenshot.  But the mouse defaulted back to left handed (also in screenshot).  This is bizarre.  

Attached Thumbnails

• mouseinfo.png

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Try going in and clicking on the Hover option. Apply.  Does it make a difference?  Sometimes when you turn it off it will fix the problem.

Did the swapmousebuttons option change when it reverted?

Advertisements

A1RotNBrat

A1RotNBrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Okay, did it and it went back to left handed.  Fixed it again and it went back to left handed.  

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

If the swapmousebuttons entry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse in regedit is changing You could change it back then right click on  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse and select Security then make sure no one has Full Control or Write privileges 

A1RotNBrat

A1RotNBrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

The mouse is still crazy.  i am going to buy a new one today and see if that works.  Not sure it will since this mouse works fine on the other computer.  However, my computer keeps trying to do that update from before where it gets stuck on installing update 2 of 3.  Is there a way I can find out what update that is and delete it so it will quit doing this?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Do you have a touchscreen or touchpad on the thing?  If so try disabling it.  

Go to:

http://unixpapa.com/js/testmouse.html

Left click where it says:

click here to test 

Then right click and then Doubleclick

Then copy the text from the box and paste it into a reply.

A1RotNBrat

A1RotNBrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

No touchscreen.  Only thing touch is the mousepad on the laptop.  Here's the results.

mousedown   which=1 button=0 buttons=1
mouseup     which=1 button=0 buttons=0
click       which=1 button=0 buttons=0
mousedown   which=3 button=2 buttons=2
mouseup     which=3 button=2 buttons=0
contextmenu which=3 button=2 buttons=0