Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java problem with XP (Resolved)

Best Answer Channeal , 13 January 2016 - 04:02 AM

Just calling in to say that I haven't had any more alerts to update anything and everything seems fine, so it appears that deleting java has not caused any problems whatsover. Am now asking myself... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

I am still running Windows XP :(

My (most likely inadequate) understanding of the situation with XP and java is that even though Microsoft no longer support XP as an operating system, you should still be able to install the updates - although if there is a problem as a result of the update, they will not sort it out. The web page at https://www.java.com...d/faq/winxp.xml  certainly seems to indicate that it should still be possible to update java.

My problem though is that for some time now (probably months), I have been unable to update java at all and have been getting the following message: -

javaxp.JPG

Is this something I should be concerned about? The 'security integrity' bit does worry me a bit. I am confused though because I am not completely sure whether this is something that automatically happens with XP computers and java (in spite of what the java site I gave the link to above says), or if it is a problem specific to my computer.

Many thanks,
Chris  

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

What are you using Java for ??

I 'd be inclined to consider uninstalling it completely if you can.

Regards

paws

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Glad I refreshed before posting (the kettle had just boiled :) ) as I was about to ask the same question as paws  :yes:

To help you decide, take a look at the article here

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Thank you both for your replies. I hope you enjoyed your cuppa, Phill! :)

It is a good question - and to be honest, I am not sure why I need java. It is disabled in my browser, along with most other plug-ins. There is something (which I thought was java, but truthfully am not 100% sure that it was) which has several times required me to enable it recently. Unfortunately, I cannot recall what I was doing when this happened (sorry, am just getting a bit old and forgetful! :()

I think maybe I will just wait a day or two before trying to delete java just in case I get asked to enable whatever it was again!

I have one more question though. If I deleted java and then found that I needed it after all, would I be able to re-install it okay, even on a computer with XP?

Many thanks,

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Indeed I did thanks Chris and a plain chocolate Hobnob (or two  :whistling: ).

Where Java is concerned, if you really do need it then it is most important that it is kept updated and you disable it when it is not needed, with this in mind I would uninstall it and use the computer as you normally do, if along the way any software that you may use requires Java to be able to run you will receive an on screen prompt to install it, from then on disable Java when it is not needed and check for updates when you get any future prompts that Java is required, hope that makes sense.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Okay, thanks Phill. I just went into 'Add or Remove Programs' and uninstalled 'Java Update 65' which was all I could find there. Do I need to do anything else?

Ah, chocolate Hobnobs - haven't had those for years! I think you might just have destroyed my new year diet! :(

Many thanks,

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

That was the correct removal procedure for XP without using the Java removal tool, you should not need to do anything further and not that it particularly matters but Version 8 Update 66 would have been the latest you should have had.

Ah, chocolate Hobnobs - haven't had those for years! I think you might just have destroyed my new year diet! :(

:lol:

You are welcome btw Chris  :)

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
✓  Best Answer

Just calling in to say that I haven't had any more alerts to update anything and everything seems fine, so it appears that deleting java has not caused any problems whatsover. Am now asking myself why I didn't delete it before!

Thanks to both of you who replied here. I have had such an amazing amount of help here in the past - especially back in 2014, when for a while it seemed almost as though this forum was my second

home  :)  - and I am eternally grateful! It would be great to think that I won't have to trouble you again for ages - but with my computer being nearly 10 years old, it probably won't be the case!

Which reminds me, I really need to do a bit of maintenance and to check that everything is backed up.....

Take care and thanks again,

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Thanks for the update, we are pleased to hear that all is well  :thumbsup:

You are most welcome from all of us here at GTG btw and no worries any time you need computer help please don`t hesitate, come straight back here  :yes: