Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No WiFi connection after latest update for Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

adhdocd

adhdocd

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm reporting this from my smartphone at the moment because I can't connect to Internet on my computer. Running Windows 7 still. Haven't felt compelled to update to 10.

Ever since last week however, the wifi kept getting dropped so I'd have to disconnect/reconnect to get it working. I was wondering what the [bleep] was going on.

Well when I went to shut off my PC earlier today, the automatic updates ran another update on my Windows 7. When I restarted recently, I couldn't connect to the Internet. I don't know if Microsoft is doing this on purpose to force me to update to 10. Either way, now I don't even have the means (Internet) to do that. I guess when the Internet was only working intermittently for the past week, that was their hint.

I suppose I can move my computer beside the modem and hook it up directly if anybody has a solution.

So the problem is: I could see all the wifi around me. I'm even connected at the moment with 100 percent signal strength. But when I go to troubleshoot it says something about default gateway not available. When I try to open up chrome, it also takes me to a page that says dns probe finished no internet.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the wifi card. I've checked and I also have the latest driver according to properties. Internet modem works because my phone is also connected, and it's able to connect fine.

Advertisements

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

What model is your Wifi adapter?

adhdocd

adhdocd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Tp-link TL-WN725N

adhdocd

adhdocd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It continues to say unidentified network and no internet access, despite the fact it's connected. I've also tried resetting TP/ICP stack as suggested on Microsoft help page.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi adhacod,

You said this happened just after the last Windows Updates? There's a possibility that there might have been an update for the network driver included in those updates. I see I have the following update waiting to be installed on my W7:

Realtek - Network - Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller

Click on your Start VISTAORB.jpg and type Windows Update into Start Search. Click on Windows Update found in the list then click on Installed Updates at the bottom of the left side panel. Look to see if an update installed that is related to your Network that is similar to mine above. If so, right click on it and choose Uninstall.

It might be easier if you just do a System Restore to a time before those Windows Updates, but then all the updates installed at that time will be uninstalled.

Keep me informed and if you have any questions don;t hesitate to ask.

Donna :)

adhdocd

adhdocd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for the reply. I do not see anything like that. Just a bunch of Microsoft Office updates and security updates. Should I uninstall all?

adhdocd

adhdocd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I also notice the latest updates are from 2/10, which is odd because it was downloading when I shut it off last night.

adhdocd

adhdocd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Actually I checked update history and there are two updates listed for 2/13. One is .Net framework update and the other is a security essentials update.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Try booting into Safe Mode with Networking to see if it will connect that way. To do so, restart the computer and as soon as you see the manufacturers logo (ASUS, Acer, HP, etc.) begin tapping or holding the F8 till you get to the Advanced Boot Options menu, then use your arrow keys to navigate down the list to Safe Mode with Networking option.

If you are sure this is related to a Windows Update, restoring to the time before the updates that you think caused this should fix it.

Other things you could try:

I am assuming you are connected wireless by modem > router.

Can you connect using an ethernet cable from the modem?

How about if you connect with an ethernet from the modem > router?

You could also try to power cycle your router and modem. To do this, just unplug the router and modem from the wall socket to allow the memory to clear then plug the modem, wait a few minutes then plug in the router.

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

He must had installed V1 there's the latest driver that can be found here: http://drivers.softp...V1-120515.shtml

Says V1 in link, but they forgot to update it. If you are able to download this from a secondary computer and off-load it to a USB stick and install it on your computer. It might work if not then some more digging should be done :)

adhdocd

adhdocd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

What would Safe Mode with Networking have done for the problem?

Thanks a lot guys. I was moving all day yesterday so I couldn't reply until this morning. Something very funny happened, and I feel like a computer-illiterate idiot for this. I thought I was savvy. I guess not.

My sister's laptop, which runs on Windows 10, also stopped connecting to the internet. She complained about it in the morning. I found it to be more than coincidence so I decided to call the cable company. But before doing so, I tried unplugging the modem and plugging it back in (for the [bleep] of it, considering it's what cable companies always tell you to do anyway as first resort), and... it actually worked.

The reason why I didn't think it was the cable internet acting up, was because my other wireless devices (phone and tablet) worked just fine. And plus, my internet connection according to my wifi card continued to show a signal strength that fluctuated between 98-100%. I don't know how it's possible for the internet to work only for non-computers. I've had cable internet for 10 years or so, and when the cable's down, it shows no strength, and my wireless card usually shows a "cancel" sign to indicate there is no connection whatsoever. In fact, it's how I check if it's the internet acting up, when one of the devices stop connecting. I refer to another device that uses the internet to cross-reference. When the internet's down, it's down across the board. Or so it was the case before this event. Very strange...

Definitely learned something new today. 

Thank you guys for your persistence.

Edited by adhdocd, 15 February 2016 - 12:22 PM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Safe Mode with Networking starts Windows with the same set of drivers and services as Safe Mode but also includes those necessary for the networking services to function. Detects possible changes in the TCP/IP settings for the Internet connection.

But before doing so, I tried unplugging the modem and plugging it back in (for the [bleep] of it, considering it's what cable companies always tell you to do anyway as first resort), and... it actually worked.

That's called Power Cycling. I suggested that in my second post above. Though I suggested it in my first post but I must have deleted it thinking the updates were the problem. That happens to me on occasion when someone else in the household connects. They end up kicking me off the network even though it says I am connected.

Glad you got it sorted. :)